How to Transition from First to Second Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Coming off of a long winter break can be difficult for some students. Personally, my travels made it very challenging-I came back and experienced terrible jet lag! Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to bounce back after a month off of academia.

Make sure you unpack early.

When we get back to school, all of our clothing and other items are still, most likely, packed away in suitcases (and possibly trash bags…). It takes a long time to unpack, so students often leave their things and unpack as the weeks go by. This can result in a cluttered and unorganized room, potentially leading to stress. Clear out your stuff so that you can have a clear mind going into the new year!

Set new goals.

The beginning of a new year is about starting fresh, so begin the semester by keeping yourself on track and writing down what you would like to accomplish the rest of the year. These could be academic goals, social goals, or emotional goals. Keep yourself moving forward by staying focused on these things.

Create new habits.

Begin the semester by staying motivated and moving towards success. At the start of each semester, I try to establish a new routine that includes time at the library each day. Purchase an agenda or download a calendar app and attempt to schedule time for study, exercise, activities, and, most importantly, sleep!

Transitions from first to second semester are not always the smoothest, but with hard work and concentration, students can learn to stay organized and on track. These are some tips that will hopefully get you on your way to a great semester!