nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Changing Majors is Completely Normal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Some go into their first year of college already knowing what they want to do, and others don’t. More times than not, students end up changing their major after discovering they are no longer interested in what they originally chose. It is not uncommon for students to change their majors. In fact, around 80% of students in the U.S end up switching majors at least once, according to the National Center for Educational Statistics.

It can be hard to realize that what you thought you wanted to do is not the right path, but finding another major that you love can transform your college experience. There are common misconceptions that go along with changing majors, but coming to a realization that these myths are not always true can make the process less daunting. 

The first thought that many people have when considering changing majors is that they have wasted their time taking classes for their previous major. This is not true at all. The knowledge and experiences that you gained from that field of study are still valuable, especially in the future with applying for jobs or internships. A lot of majors intersect and relate to one another, so the experience that you could have from (for example) being an English major could translate over to a communications internship you are applying for. Having a background in different fields is significant in proving that you are an experienced candidate. It is also important to keep in mind that after graduating, many people do not end up having a career related to the major they choose, so your jobs will not always line up with exactly what you studied. 

Another common misconception is that by switching majors you will have to spend way more time and money on school. While this can be true, it is not always the case. A lot of schools do not require you to declare a major until sophomore year, so taking classes for a major you do not end up pursuing is not going to delay when you graduate. In the long run, you will have to take classes that satisfy graduate requirements anyway, so the classes that counted for your old major could fulfill those requirements. Of course, when you change your major will affect the timing of your graduation because you need to take the classes for your new major. However, that is only something that comes up if you are changing your major in the later semesters of your junior or senior year. 

Overall, it is important to consider the pros and cons of changing your major, but, ultimately, you want to be pursuing something you are passionate about and will love!

Ali Senal

Muhlenberg '18

Muhlenberg '18 Grad with a BA in Theatre and Jewish studies. My hobbies include sleeping, movies, and spreading vegan propaganda. Former Editor-in-Chief of Muhlenberg Her Campus.