bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

The Anti-Vax Movement and Why It’s Dangerous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Muhlenberg chapter.

Since the mid-1700s, the anti-vaccine movement has had a huge following all over the world. Beginning in France in 1763, people began to distrust vaccines and the medical practices that doctors would implement. This is because medical standards in the 18th century were quite different from our standards now. However, over hundreds of years, medical knowledge has improved tremendously. Thus, it seems hard to believe that some people still disagree with vaccines despite the scientific evidence to back them up. Here are some reasons why the Anti-Vaccine Movement is harmful:

Encourages Pseudoscience

One of the biggest reasons behind the anti-vaccine movement is the false notion that vaccines cause autism in some children. This stance was purported by Dr. Andrew Wakefield in 1998. However, Dr. Wakefield’s research involved faulty data and he was “set to benefit from lawsuits based on his research.” Currently, the original study that started this debate has been retracted. To this day, medical research has not found any link between vaccines and autism. In many parts of the western world, medical professionals have found a decline in vaccinations because of Dr. Wakefield’s discredited research.

More Outbreaks in Diseases that Can Be Prevented

This year in the Pacific Northwest, more than 50 people have been infected with measles, an infection that can easily be prevented with a vaccine. With the rise of anti-vaxxers, there have been more outbreaks of diseases that can be prevented such as the measles and whooping cough. These diseases are incredible contagious, so it is vital that parents vaccinate their children so that these diseases do not resurface. By not vaccinating your children, not only are you putting your child at risk, but you are putting dozens of other children at risk. With all of this said: get vaccinated!

Emily Garber

Muhlenberg '21

Muhlenberg College Content Editor
Hello! My name is Caroline Kinney, and I am the Campus Correspondent of the Muhlenberg Her Campus Chapter! I am originally from Leesburg, Virginia (D.C./Maryland/Virginia area) and currently a sophomore majoring in Theatre with a minor in Creative Writing. I am elated to be entering into this position at Her Campus Muhlenberg. My primary goals as the President/Editor-In-Chief of the chapter is to have an intersectionality approach to all of our content and to create a special bond between every team member in the chapter. Lover of corgis, guacamole, and intersectional feminism. I am so excited for this semester!