Sifting Flour
Sifting Flour
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

The Versatility of Pizza Dough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MTSU chapter.

During the Covid-19 pandemic, everyone quarantined at home seems to be making bread. While I’m not a big fan of bread making, there’s one dough that is super versatile that I make all of the time: pizza dough.

Pizza dough can be used to make pizza, obviously, but it can also be used for many other yummy things! It’s also one of the easiest breads to make. Follow my recipe at the end of this article and try out some of these yummy ideas!

Breadsticks

One of the more obvious things to make from pizza dough is breadsticks! Split the pizza dough into 6-8 even parts. Roll each part out into a long shape, keeping it between ½ and 1 inch in diameter. Lay on a greased baking sheet, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and set in a warm place to proof for 20 minutes. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 375°F until golden brown.

Garlic Knots

Another fairly obvious use for pizza dough is garlic knots! Follow the same procedure as the breadsticks, but split the dough into 15-20 even parts. Roll each part into a long, fairly thin strips and tie into knots or the shape of your choice. You can easily substitute the garlic salt for any other topping of your choice (I’m a big fan of cinnamon and sugar)!

Cinnamon Rolls

Speaking of cinnamon, pizza dough can be used to make cinnamon rolls. Simply replace the olive oil in the recipe with melted butter. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle, about ¼ inch thick. Slather the dough in butter and liberally sprinkle cinnamon and sugar across it. Roll it up fairly tightly along the long edge. Cut the roll into 1 inch rounds and place them about ½ inch apart in a greased baking dish. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let proof in a warm place for 30 minutes before brushing the tops with melted butter and baking at 375°F for 15-20 minutes. Mix powdered sugar and a small amount of milk for an easy glaze!

Pizza Rolls

One of my favorite things to do with pizza dough is to make pizza rolls. Just follow the procedure for the cinnamon rolls, but instead of cinnamon and sugar, cover the rolled out dough in cheese and pizza toppings. Once they’re baked, pour Alfredo or red sauce on top!

Recipe:

2 C. Flour + Extra

¼ tsp Salt

3 Tbs Olive Oil

1 Packet Active Dry Yeast (2.25 tsp)

2 tsp White Sugar

¾ C. Warm Water (100-110°F, 105°F is ideal)

1. Sprinkle the Yeast and Sugar in the Water and mix. Let sit for 10 minutes. If it does not get foamy, start over and make sure to check your water temperature. If the temperature is too low, you’re Yeast won’t be productive and if the water is too hot they will die.

2. Mix together 2 cups of Flour and the Salt. Drizzle in the Olive Oil and mix well. You should have clumps of oil in the dough.

3. Pour the Yeast mixture into the Flour mixture and mix to fully combine. Dump the dough out onto a clean and floured surface and knead until it is smooth (about 2-3 minutes). 

4. Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let proof in a warm place (I usually turn on my dryer and leave the bowl on top) for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes, punch the dough down and dump it out onto a clean and floured surface. Knead it for 1-2 minutes and then use it for whatever you wish!

Pizza dough is super versatile and there are way more things to do with it than what I listed here, but hopefully this gives you some inspiration to try out this super easy bread! If you use this recipe, send me a picture of what you made to my Instagram or tag me @itsmaxfromschool so I can see it!

I am the President of MT Lambda, the LGBT+ organization at MTSU. I study Biology and Nutrition and Food Science! I'm not a writer, but I have a lot of feelings and writing about them seems to do some good. I also love cooking, so I'm always excited to share my experiences with food!