This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

Think about realizing your greatest dream. The dream is there and only good things are coming your way: fame, lifestyle changes for the better, or even seeing the world in a different way. Now, think of the same dream and being in it, and it not being what you expected it all to be. 

With his debut album, Busyhead, singer/songwriter Noah Kahan poses the same question to himself. Being an artist places high demand and stress on himself more than ever before, so the stakes are high. Sometimes the key to finding yourself and success is to go back home to your roots where the dream originally began. 

Busyhead is an honest series of snapshots within a particular time of Kahan’s life where he contemplated giving up on everything for the comfort of the things he knew. The title emphasizes his central message that when there is too much noise, it may be hard to hear yourself. Through his music, a mix of pop and folk, you get to hear an artist contemplate his doubts, struggles, and finding a sense of balance in his new life. 

I think this album in particular speaks to our generation. We are still trying to find ourselves and what we want our dreams to be, and deal with what happens when our dreams are not all we thought they would be. It’s hard sometimes to figure out what you want and yearn for, but know that you’re not alone in finding your path. 

So next time you’re feeling alone, confused, overwhelmed, and stressed, give Noah Kahan a listen. His music truly speaks to a key emotion of seeking self-discovery in this crazy world. We all deserve an outlet and, personally, his music has gotten me through a lot. Hope you enjoy his music and it brings you a moment of clarity. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.     

Amanda Thibodeau

Mt Holyoke '24

Intending to major in History and Education Just a girl who loves to listen to music and watch films
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.