Tips to Enjoying the Spring Weather During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It finally feels like spring! The weather is warming up, the sun is shining, flowers are blooming, and everyone is starting to hang out on Skinner Green! I don’t know about you, but this beautiful weather has certainly boosted my spirits! Unfortunately, we were granted this beautiful weather right before finals, the busiest and most stressful time of the year for a lot of us students. Here are some tips to enjoy this wonderful spring weather during finals!

1. Wear sunscreen!

Finals or not, it’s always important to wear sunscreen if you plan on spending time outdoors. Since it’s a lot warmer, many people are beginning to wear shorts, dresses, tank tops, and other outfits that expose some more skin. Even though it isn’t super warm yet, you can still get a sunburn if you aren’t careful. Exposure to sunlight can also be damaging to your skin, so the extra few minutes it takes to put on sunscreen is totally worth it.

2. Go for a walk on study breaks!

Staying inside and focusing on work all day can really drain a person. When you’re feeling exhausted from studying for finals or working on final essays, go for a quick stroll around campus! You don’t have to go outside for very long, but just a few minutes can help you feel more refreshed and ready to tackle whatever assignments you have left to do.

3. Work on assignments outside!

Sometimes, staying inside all day can make us feel antsy or trapped. If you’re feeling this way, grab your study materials and a blanket or towel to sit on and head on over to Skinner Green or anywhere else on campus that you enjoy. Working on your finals outside can allow you to enjoy the weather while also keeping you productive.

4. Set aside time for an outdoor activity!

Yes, finals are a very busy time of the year, but it’s important to also schedule some time for self-care. One form of self-care that you could do is to plan an outdoor activity! Grab a few friends and play a game of frisbee! Walk around campus by yourself and take pictures of all of the blooming flowers! Read a book for pleasure while sitting on Skinner Green! Going outside to relax, even if just for a few minutes, can be an excellent form of self-care.

While it may be a bummer that we have to focus on finals right when the weather is starting to improve, just remember that finals will eventually end. And once they do, you can start enjoying the weather on your own time. No matter what you decide to do, hopefully you make the best out of this lovely weather!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.