This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

If you have recently looked in the mirror and noticed a change in your skin, you are not alone. Maybe you overdid the Halloween candy and makeup, but most likely this change is a result of the arrival of cold weather. That’s right, moisture-deprived air and colder temps are here to stay. Winter weather is not fun for skin. Learning how to look after your skin this winter is important for taking care of yourself as well as keeping your natural glow. Luckily, keeping your skin healthy is easy if you follow these tips!

1. Wash Your Skin with Lukewarm Water

Hot showers may feel amazing on a cold winter’s day, but the hot water dries out your skin by stripping it of the natural oils that provide moisture. Turn down the heat and be sure to moisturize afterward to prevent future dryness.

2. Be Picky with Your Moisturizer

Many over-the-counter lotions have petroleum-based ingredients that can further dry out your skin during the cold season. Choose a formula that has natural ingredients that nourish your skin with vitamins and antioxidants. The skin on your face is the most sensitive so you don’t want to be putting heavy chemicals on it. Try an oil-based moisturizer rather than water-based so it is more likely to lock in moisture throughout the day.

3. Protect Your Skin

Get in the habit of wearing gloves and scarves to protect your skin from the harsh winter climate. And don’t skip the sunscreen. Many people believe that you can’t get sun damage in the winter, but that’s a common misconception. You don’t have to smother your face in SPF 100. Instead, try a natural lotion that has SPF 15 for a light layer of sun protection that also locks in moisture.

4. Drink Water

During this time of year, we tend to drink less water because we turn to hot beverages like tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Keep in mind that your skin needs to be hydrated from the inside in order to shine from the outside. Drink a glass of water first thing when you wake up. For that warm beverage everyone craves on a cold day, try adding lemon and honey to a hot glass of water. This is not only great for your skin, but it helps your digestive system and lemon is full of antioxidants. Be sure to also eat water-rich foods such as fruit and vegetables. Even though fruit isn’t as satisfying in the winter as it is in the summer, it is an important part of a healthy diet, as well as to maintain glowing skin.

5. Exfoliate

We often forget to scrub the dead skin cells off in our skincare routine. In order to generate new, glowing skin we need to get rid of the dead, dry cells that prevent moisture from getting to the skin. Invest in an exfoliating face wash to use once a week. Be sure not to use it every day because it can lead to irritation and dryness. For a simple DIY alternative, mix a little baking soda with warm water for a natural all-in-one cleanser and scrub. Don’t skip out on exfoliating your lips. Immediately follow up with a moisturizer to replenish your skin. Exfoliating body washes are also helpful in the winter.

These tips are sure to help bring back your glow and kick the winter blues in the butt!

Image sources: X X X X X

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Evelyn Foster

Mt Holyoke '22

Evelyn is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College double majoring in environmental studies and art history. She loves listening to music, doing art work, hanging out with friends and eating good food.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.