The Notebook
The Notebook
New Line Cinema
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

turned on LED movie projector
Photo by Alex Litvin from Unsplash

Love is in the air. With Valentine’s Day approaching, why not watch a movie? This is the perfect time to curl up on the couch with your favorite blanket and the object of your affection and be prepared to laugh and cry with your favorite lovers and heroines. Whether you are looking for a sappy love story, a romantic comedy, or a romantic classic, this list has you covered. Keep reading if you want to find out which movies you should watch this upcoming Valentine’s day. 

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

Call Me By Your Name is a coming of age romance screenplay directed by Luca Guadagnino. This movie takes place in the summer of 1983 in Italy where romance blossoms between seventeen-year-old Elio Perlman and an older man named Oliver who was hired as Elio’s father’s intern. The beautiful scenery and soundtrack coupled with the longing stares is the stuff that iconic romantic movies are made of and is why this movie landed on this list.

The Notebook (2014)

Get your tissues ready for this one. The Notebook is a classic sappy love story directed by Nick Cassavetes. This movie takes place in 1940s in South Carolina where a mill worker named Noah Calhoun and a rich girl named Allie are madly in love with each other but their parents don’t approve of the relationship. When Noah goes off to serve in WW2, it seems like the end of their love story, in that when Noah is away Allie starts dating another man. But when Noah returns, even though Allie is on the verge of getting married, it’s clear that this is not the end for them. The ionic kissing in the rain scene coupled with the intense chemistry between Noah and Allie is enough to bring a tear in the eyes of anyone watching and what makes this movie a romantic classic. 

10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

10 Things I Hate About You is a romantic comedy film directed by Gil Junger. This movie is the modern retelling of Williams Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew that takes place in an upper-middle-class Seattle high school. The classic line 

“I hate the way you talk to me and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you’re always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you’re not around, and the fact that you didn’t call. But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.” 

is sure to bring a smile and warm the hearts of anyone watching, making this a classic romantic comedy.

The Half of It (2020)

The Half of It is not your typical romance movie. The Half of It is a Netflix original directed by Alice Wu. This movie takes place in a small town in Massachusetts, where a high school student named Ellie writes essays for her classmates for money. Paul enlists her help to write love letters for his crush only for Ellie to find out that she is in love with the same girl and uses these letters as a way to communicate how she feels for this girl in a concealed method. What makes this movie different from other romantic movies is that this movie celebrates all kinds of love and does not have your typical “guy gets the girl” ending.

Valentine’s Day (2010)

Valentine’s Day is another romantic comedy film directed by Garry Marshall. This movie is about the intertwining of couples and singles in Los Angeles as they experience the highs and lows of love based on the pressures and expectations of Valentine’s Day. The reliability of this movie mixed with its comedic and heartwarming elements is what makes this movie a great pick to watch for Valentine’s Day. 

Love Jones (1997)

Love Jones is a romantic drama film written and directed by Theodore Witcher. This movie is sure you make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside as you watch Darius Lovehall use poetry as a way to woo the lovely photographer Nina Mosley. 

Love and Basketball (2000)

Love and Basketball is a romantic sports drama film written and directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood. This movie tells the story of love that blossoms between childhood friends Monica and Quincy who both share a love of basketball. This movie highlights that true love conquers all and that friendship is the foundation of any lasting relationship.

I hope this list gave you some inspiration on what movies you should watch this Valentine’s Day. 

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.    

Hi everyone my name is Sophia Erivbieta. I am a freshman at Mount Holyoke and I go by the she/her pronouns. I plan on majoring in philosophy and psychology.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.