7 Awesome Netflix Shows to Binge Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

It’s the final stretch! Sure, things are probably incredibly stressful right now, but in a few short days, you’ll be free! And chances are that soon you’ll have plenty of free time! Or, at least you’ll have more free time than you do now, depending on what you decide to do over winter break. As a reward for finishing finals and completing a semester of college, here are 7 awesome Netflix shows to binge over break!

1. The Get Down

Do you like hip hop or disco music? Are you ever frustrated by the lack of people of color in media? Do you want to go on an emotional rollercoaster ride? Then watch The Get Down! You’ll enjoy every beautifully filmed moment.

2. Stranger Things

If you haven’t seen Stranger Things yet, you should. It is a mixture of sci-fi, fantasy, and thriller. You’ll be at the edge of your seat the entire time! Plus, the main cast consists of a bunch of adorable and funny kids!

3. Black Mirror

Are you the type of person who has difficulty with binging shows because you don’t want to sit through seasons of episodes you don’t care about? Watch Black Mirror, a show that’s somewhat like a modern Twilight Zone set in a technologically advanced dystopian-like future. None of the episodes are connected, so you can watch whichever episodes interest you. (I recommend San Junipero.)  Beware: it is the type of show that will mess with your mind.

4. The Joy of Painting

Who doesn’t love Bob Ross? Watching just a few episodes of The Joy of Painting will instantly soothe you and give you an amazing confidence boost. And, you can use the tips you learn on the show to create your own beautiful paintings!

5. Fuller House

Season Two is finally here! It’s certainly not the greatest show in terms of plot or acting skills, but it’s great for nostalgic reasons. If you’re feeling particularly nostalgic, you can always binge both seasons!

6. American Horror Story: Hotel

The fifth season of American Horror Story has been on Netflix for a while now, but many AHS fans who feel disappointed with AHS: Roanoke might want to relive the better days of the anthology series by re-watching previous seasons. Or, if AHS: Hotel isn’t your favorite, watch whichever season you prefer! Content warning for copious amounts of gore and violence.

7. Parks and Recreation

Another classic that pretty much everyone has seen. Follow the adventures of Leslie Knope and her coworkers in this comedy. Even if you’ve seen it a million times and can quote every line, it’s purely fun to watch.

I hope you have an amazing break, readers! You’ve certainly earned it. Treat yourself to some yummy holiday foods and your favorite Netflix shows!

Images: (Cover)

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sarah Washington is a sophomore at Mount Holyoke College. She is from Wilbraham, Massachusetts. She is a prospective Sociology Major. Sarah's passions include social justice, increased visibility for multiracial individuals, feminism, and LGBT rights. Her other loves include makeup, writing, reading, and music.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.