This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

March has come, but the cold winds and snow at Mount Holyoke look like they have no intention of going away anytime soon. With the transition from the in-hall dining halls that were recently closed to the new centralized Dining Commons (aka Super Blanch), it’s become a hassle to trek through blizzards all the way to Blanchard for meals. For some of us, there may be days when we’re just not up for making the walk or are pressed for time. While some residence halls are equipped with golden-pear kitchens, others only have kitchenettes with microwaves. If you find yourself pressed for time, or not in the mood to cook, here are some easy recipes for you that can be made in the microwave in only ten minutes or under!

1. Omelettes

If you love eggs like I do, then this recipe is for you! With an estimated prep time of under 3 minutes, this recipe is great if you’re pressed for time, and is super easy to make! For your toppings you can choose whatever you’d like to add to keep it interesting, and can replace the toppings in the original recipe. You can add any combination of veggies such as mushrooms, onions, and carrots, or just about anything edible you can find lying around in your room.

2. French Toast

Craving something sweet? Then you’re in for a treat. This is another recipe that has a total prep time of under 10 minutes. Once again, you’re going to need eggs so make sure to stock up. If you like your French toast extra sweet, you can always add more sugar or vanilla extract. You can also alter the recipe per your preferences!

3.  Mac & Cheese

Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food. While you can buy pre-made mac and cheese that just has to be heated up in the microwave, this recipe shows you how to make it on your own. This way, you can control the amount of cheese, as well as add any garnish of your liking. With a total cooking time of 10 minutes, this recipe is perfect for satisfying your late night cravings!

4. Risotto

If you’re feeling fancy or adventurous, you can check out this recipe for microwavable butternut squash risotto. While the recipe calls for some fancy ingredients like white wine, and butternut squash you can easily substitute these with mushrooms instead of butternut squash and forgo the white wine. You can also add any protein of your choice and/or customize it to be vegetarian and vegan-friendly, depending on your preferences. Nonetheless, a little experimentation won’t hurt!

What are you waiting for? Go ahead and try out some of these recipes now and let us know which ones are your favorite!

Image sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email mt-holyoke@hercampus.com.

Sophomore at Mount Holyoke College, majoring in Psychology. Originally from Karachi, Pakistan.
Mount Holyoke College is a gender-inclusive, historically women's college in South Hadley, MA.