Wellness

10 Self-Care Ideas for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mt Holyoke chapter.

As we go into February with Valentine’s Day right around the corner, it can be a lonely time for many people. Valentine’s Day is often regarded as a holiday for couples to celebrate, but I think that anyone can take the time to celebrate  for themselves. Loving yourself is just as important, if not more important than a romantic relationship, so here are ten ideas for self-care this Valentine’s Day:

1. Have a spa day – Pampering yourself is a great way to spend your time this Valentine’s Day. Do a facemask, paint your nails, and put on your favorite cozy robe. It’s your day, enjoy it to the fullest. 
  1. Read a book – If there’s a book that you’ve been wanting to read, read it! Taking the time to sit down and read is a great way to relax and spend your day. 
  1. Edit your social media – One of the biggest contributors to body image issues and a lack of confidence can be social media. Self-love is important, so if there are any accounts or platforms that make you feel bad about yourself, take the time to unfollow them. It will be worth it.
  1. Go get a coffee – Go to a coffee shop and buy yourself a treat. Valentine’s Day is a day to enjoy things for yourself, you deserve it!
  1. Galentine’s day – Another great way to spend Valentine’s Day is spending it with your friends. Being surrounded by people who love and support you is important. Put up decorations and have a little party because Valentine’s Day is a great day to celebrate friendship. 
  1. Do something you’ve been telling yourself you’re going to do but never actually get around to doing – Have you been wanting to go through your closet or rearrange your room but have been avoiding it because it’s a big project? Take some time out of your day to do it. You will feel accomplished once you’ve finished it. Part of self-care is taking the time to do things for yourself, and this is the perfect time to do just that.
  1. Get some rest – Oftentimes we get really busy with school or work which can lead to stress. Resting, whatever that looks like to you, can be a great form of self-care. Being well-rested helps clear your mind and sets you up to be more productive in all of your endeavors. 
  1. Go for a walk or hike – Going for a walk or hike can be a great way to spend a part of your day. Whether it’s by yourself or with a friend, going out and getting exercise is a very important part of self-care. If you choose to go on a new walk or hike, you’ll get to enjoy new scenery and have a fun day!
  1. Do something creative – Get out your art supplies and do something creative! Creating art can be relaxing for many people. If you’ve seen any cool art projects lately, Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to try them out.
  1. Write in a journal – Even with all of the nice things that come with Valentine’s Day, for some people it can still be a hard time. Journaling can help with processing your emotions, and is something you can do any time of the year. Processing your emotions is another way of showing self-care.

If you would like to write for Her Campus Mount Holyoke, or if you have any questions or comments for us, please email hc.mtholyoke@hercampus.com.  

Grace Ryhlick

Mt Holyoke '25

Hi! I'm Grace, a third year art history student at Mount Holyoke College. Some of my favorite things are cats, tea, baking, photography, and visiting museums. I also love traveling, and I hope to explore more places soon!