This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As April showers are bringing the warm weather excitement and green grass, I have been itching for the summer air and vibes to be in full bloom. Here, I have created a list for the upcoming summer, for anyone to be inspired by, full of fun activities, shenanigans, adventures with you, friends, and the best vibes!

1. Road Trip Up North

While this may make the pockets slightly hurt, gas prices and a place to stay is just a fraction of the expenses. I would so recommend traveling somewhere this summer! For my Michiganders, I am sure you can find a friend of a friend who has a place “up north” and is willing to have you over! Honestly, you could complete this bucket list while you’re there! Up North has so much to offer, taking a break from the hustle and bustle of life, allows you to be engulfed in nature and poor reception–which is a plus when you’re trying to disconnect. 

1. Bonfire

While many cities require a permit for having a fire pit, it’s worth the memories and zen to have a fire pit. An investment perfect for the summer, oftentimes you can find cheap fire pits on Facebook Marketplace, and cheap firewood pretty much anywhere. Toast some marshmallows, have some people over, and have a great evening! A bonfire is a summer classic and is a guaranteed memory maker. 

1. Go for a Hike

Look up your local Metropark and have yourself a day! Bring water and snacks and get lost. Make sure you take a photo of the map before doing so, but the sentiment is nice to get absolutely lost. Take photos or be completely in the moment, and try to find as many critters and creatures as you can! My family always plays a word game when we’re on a hike, it’s fun to distract the mind and to bond with the people you’re with.

1. Bar Crawl

Of course, this applies to my 21+ friends out there…or not, who knows. Grab a couple of your friends and hit up your favorite local bars. Take a shot, or drink at each bar, and take photos! Who doesn’t love a great day outing with your friends and a cold drink in your hand? Bonus points if you get strangers to drink with you!

1. Darty 

Same as the previous one, grab some of your favorite people and cold ones and enjoy the sunshine in the comforts of your home. Bring some games out and play to your inner child’s heart’s content. Make the investment in an inflatable pool and have even more fun splashing around and cooling off!

1. Sunday Brunch

This is a perfect excuse for you to dress super cute and grab a good meal! Find a cute little diner or cafe and live out your Breakfast at Tiffany’s dreams, be the cute little coquette girlie you’ve been waiting for! 

1. Go to the Beach

Even if you don’t live by an ocean, there are lakes everywhere that oftentimes offer a free beach for the public! Who doesn’t love a nice afternoon with their feet buried in the sand with the sun beaming, not a cloud in the sky? I’m getting excited just thinking about it!

1. Workout Outside

Whether you’re going on a hot girl walk with your besties, or doing yoga in the park, being in the sun while doing physical activities is the best recipe for a serotonin rush. You don’t have to be dripping in sweat to have a good time, just get your body moving enough. My favorite activities are throwing around a football, spikeball, going on walks (or runs on the rare occasion), and taking my cat outside to enjoy the warmth.

1. Create Curated Playlists

I have about 20 different playlists, curated for all of my specific and weird moods. Take the time this summer and dive deep into what music really has to offer, I promise it’s worth it! I have also made playlists for my friends—music I know they enjoy, and some new ones for them to discover. Music is such an important part of my daily life, and if I were to receive a playlist made specifically for me from someone, I would feel so appreciated and special to that person. 

1. Picnic!

Grab some fruit, bread, cheeses, and whatever else you would want for the perfect picnic spread. Bring a blanket and bug spray, and enjoy a yummy snack in the sun. Pick a fun park to enjoy being outside. Personally, I like to get inspired by nature and the people who go to parks, there will always be a unique story to be told.

Just writing this article has me excited about the possibilities this summer! Whether you do things solo, or with a couple of friends, make sure to immerse yourself in the experience. Don’t be scared to put your phone away for a few hours while you sit outside. Let this summertime be the perfect excuse to practice living in the moment. Return to your childhood, where you would be lost in the outside world. For me, this will be my last free summer, so I know I will be trying to soak up every moment. While I’m ready for the real world, this summer will be the last moments of pure freedom and the last reminder of my childhood days in the summer sun.

Alex is a sarcastic, cat-obsessed senior at Michigan State University, studying creative advertising with minors in graphic design and media photography. She loves keeping her mind creative, whether that's on a laptop or not, her stream of conscious is always running. She is an editor and designer for HerCampus MSU and loves writing articles.