Wellness

Your Guide to Self-Care in the Age of Online School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Things have changed A LOT this year. Between the closed establishments, online schooling, and self-isolating we have to do, there’s a lot of factors that may mentally bring us down. This means self care is more important than ever! When there are so many things in our day to day lives we no longer have control over, one of the best things we can do is remember to take some time out of the day to nurture ourselves. How might we do this, you ask? There’s a ton of ways!  

When you have an hour of free time:

• Make a dent in a book – For those who love reading, take a break from our world and travel to a different one! Reading is a great, calming, way to get out of your own head.

• Take a fancy bath – Break out the lavender oil and the epsom salts to take your bath to the next level. With an hour of free time, you’re able to reach an ultimate state of calm. This is also perfect for those cold winter days that are coming up fast.

• Clean something you’ve been meaning to clean – When life gets stressful, it’s easy to let our stress translate into our physical environment. Take some time to put away the clean clothes that have been sitting for a week, or to throw away the random garbage that has been accumulating for what seems like forever. Trust me, you’ll be happy you did. 

When you have 30 minutes of free time:

• Take extra time for (nighttime) skin care – Since you have 30 minutes, it’s time to do the works! Do the usual, but maybe incorporate an exfoliating face mask (I personally love The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% peeling solution) or a fun sheet mask. Light a candle, dim the lights, and really get into it. You deserve to have beautiful, glowing skin!

• Take a Walk – There’s nothing that boosts mood like fresh air and the sun. Step away from your devices for a bit, and go be one with nature!

• Yoga – Look up videos on Youtube or on a fitness app (the Nike training app is a great one). Do some deep breathing and maybe light a candle because that’s always a fantastic option. I promise, you’ll feel absolutely amazing once you stretch your muscles out. 

When you only have 10 minutes:

• Manifest your dreams – Take a few moments to write down your dreams, but using an “I am/ I have” phrasing. For example, “I have my dream house in 2023” or “I am healthy and happy in December 2020.” These things are more likely to happen if you speak on them as if they have already happened.

• Journal – Write down your thoughts, feelings, and anything in between. A journal is a great safe space to express some emotions you may have pent up. 

• Sit and drink water – Breathe and just take a moment to yourself. Pour yourself an icy cup of water, and think about all the good it’s doing for your body. 

These are small, easy things, but they can be game-changers for your mental (and even physical) health. It’s so important to remember that, even if you’re busy with work and school, it’s key to take time out for yourself. You’re beautiful, you’re loved, and you deserve to live your best life!

Faith is a freshman at Michigan State University majoring as an Advertising Creative. You can find her working out or buying more books than any one person could ever read in her free time. You can find her on Instagram (@faith.n.y).
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.