This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Let’s face it— October is the best month of the year. The trees turn that beautiful red-orange color, and the excitement of Halloween is in the air. Don’t let the stress of midterms distract you from what really matters. Follow this bucket list to make sure you don’t miss out on your favorite traditions this October!

Update Your Fall Wardrobe

Cozy fashion is in, and we are living for it. Seriously, has anyone ever had too many sweaters? This is the perfect time of year to spend a little extra on cute clothes.

Go to a Hayride/Corn Maze

This is an especially fun tradition to do with a big group like a club or sorority. But if you don’t have a big group on hand, it’s still fun to go with a couple of close friends. Or even better, cozy up with a cutie and make it a date.

Find the Perfect Costume

Do you ever feel like being a terrifying clown for a day? Or maybe you’re more of a sexy referee type of girl. Or maybe you’re going for a badass superhero look. Either way, Halloween is the time of year to get into costume, so go have fun with it!

Read a Scary Book

‘Tis spooky season, after all! Nothing beats curling up with a warm blanket, a hot cup of tea, and a good spooky book. 

Decorate! 

Decorating your place is a fun, cheap, and exciting way to get you in the fall mood. Get your roommate in on the fun for a great bonding experience!

Go on a Nature Walk

October is the best time to appreciate the outdoors. Not only are the trees full of vibrant colors, but the weather is in that perfect balance— cozy but not too cold. Take some time out of your schedule for a date with good old Mother Nature.

Burn Fall Candles

The most underrated part about fall is the smells. Bringing some  festive smells inside via candles will make your place feel SO cozy, and it’ll get you in the right fall mood. 

(Trick or) Treat Yourself 

Fall is the season for great food. Caramel apples, pumpkin pies, sugar cookies, oh my! Plus, not to mention all the chocolate and sweets you’ll buy early to “save” for Halloween. Go on, treat yourself. You deserve it.

Tailgate

Football season wouldn’t be complete without tailgating. Celebrate fall with good friends, good food, and good sports!

Spooky Movie Marathon

This is not recommended to do alone— this is definitely a social activity. Also good with popcorn and blankets.

Carve (or Paint) Pumpkins

Carving pumpkins is great, but let’s be honest, who has time for that mess? Painting pumpkins is a much more dorm-friendly option. Pick up some craft paints, invite a couple of friends over, and let your spooky artistic skills flourish!

Wishing you all a happy, safe, and festive October!

Hannah is studying English Creative Writing at Michigan State University. She is passionate about art, poetry, good food, and working toward a sustainabile future.
Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.