This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

A woman’s world is a harsh world. 

We are told to look a certain way, act a certain way, live a certain way to the point where it feels like the world is conducting our life. We live in a constant world of meeting its expectations in order to be deemed attractive enough or successful enough, and although the world has progressed a lot, we still fight against those who hold us back from our true potential. It’s a harsh, broken mirror where we only see the fragments of ourselves left, our worth a mere illusion in the shards.  

A woman’s world is a terrifying world. 

We live in a world where it feels unsafe to walk alone at night, keys clutched like broken glass in our hand, ready to strike anyone who comes near us suspiciously, hoping, praying, we get home safe. A world where just working in your job might lead to an unwanted advance, when wearing a revealing outfit somehow means an invitation to unwelcome actions. A world when even the closest of our trusted friends could still find a way to take advantage of us under the excuse of alcohol. A world where still today, 81% of women say they’ve been sexually harassed at one point in their life.   

But, a woman’s world is a powerful, united world.

We are united. Stronger together when we lift each other up when our world tries to knock us down by its standards. Braver together when the world tries to hide us away or scare us into submission. Together we will fight until our world becomes a safe one, till everyone can walk peacefully in the streets and dance carelessly through the night without having second thoughts. Together we are powerful beings, an unstoppable force against a world designed against us. 

A woman’s world is a harsh and terrifying world, but we won’t go down easily. We won’t listen to what it has to say about us because there are no broken pieces of our intelligence, of our beauty, of our potential. We’ll scream and fight until the entire mirror built for us shatters, building it back with glittering diamonds that shine with the true reflection and worth of ourselves. 

So, watch out. The world is a woman’s, and it’s about time it knows who runs it.

Hi! My name is Meghana Jalagam, and I am a senior at MSU. I am double majoring in neuroscience and psychology, and I am on the pre-med track. My passions outside of school are dancing, reading, writing, trying new foods, and being social!
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.