Life > Experiences

Winning the Heart of Your Photographer

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

For the past year, I have been working as a professional photographer, and it’s the coolest and most enjoyable job I’ve ever had. Most of my work has been with business startups, taking product photos, event photos, and photos for social media. At the same time, I have also had experience doing headshots, freelance events, portraits, and group photos. As with any job, there have been some incredible experiences and some not-so-incredible experiences. Here are my personal suggestions – based on experience – of how to make the most of your scheduled photoshoot and how to make your photographer sing your praises.

Clear communication 

It is incredibly important to get off on the right foot when scheduling a photoshoot or reaching out to a photographer. In my experiences, the very first message that I receive from a potential client tells a lot about how the overall shoot is going to go. So, when first reaching out to a photographer, I would recommend being as kind, clear and prepared as possible. If, as a client, you know what you’re looking for and communicate that early on in the process, it will make everything easier going forward. 

Have a shot list prepared 

This one goes with the clear communication aspect, but preparing a shot list before the actual photoshoot is extremely helpful. Even if you aren’t sure exactly what you’re looking for, it is really nice as a photographer to have an idea of what types of shots the client is looking for. By preparing a shot list before the photoshoot, you as a client are showing the photographer that you are organized and value their time. 

Trust their judgment

As a photographer, one of my biggest pet peeves is when the client doesn’t trust my judgment. I know that most photographers will only make suggestions if I think that they will help the overall product. That being said, trust is different from complete control. Yes, you should take your photographer’s suggestions, but it is still important to communicate any concerns you have with them. Let them know if the photos don’t look the way you’d like them to or if you have a clear vision of what you want to see. 

Value their time

There have been a significant number of instances where I personally have felt like my time is not being respected as a photographer. Whether it has been clients asking for free photoshoots or having two-day turnarounds, these instances are some of my least favorite parts of my job. While I totally understand that sometimes things turn up last minute, it is important to remember that photographers have lives outside of their work. In my case, I am a full-time student, involved in multiple clubs, and have two part-time jobs. In order to build a good working relationship with your photographer, reach out well in advance, giving plenty of time and flexibility. 

The people I most enjoy working with time and again are those that respect not only the photoshoot process but also me as a person. So next time you need your senior photos taken or have a photoshoot to schedule, keep these things in mind, and you’ll surely win the heart of your photographer.

Abbie is a Michigan State University senior studying digital storytelling with a concentration in audio storytelling and minors in media photography and graphic design. They are the HCMSU chapter photographer and a member of the design team. When they're not taking photos or working on sound design, Abbie loves to crochet, watch movies, read, and listen to music.