Why You Should Foster a Pet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

All across the nation, Americans everywhere are being told to practice social distancing and self-isolation to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. This means that many people will be stuck in their homes by themselves, without human interaction for long periods of time. Even though people may not be able to see each other, animal shelter experts say that now is an especially good time to foster or adopt a pet.

Time

One of the main concerns people have regarding pet care is the lack of time they spend at home. Usually, many Americans spend large portions of their days outside of their homes due to work, school or social obligations. Since most people are currently working from their own homes and kids aren’t attending school, they are left with a lot of spare time on their hands. Using this free time, it is now possible to give a pet the love and attention they deserve!

Companionship 

Adopting/fostering pets doesn’t just give animals homes, it will also provide a sense of companionship for people during these difficult times. Many of us aren’t accustomed to frequent social isolation, so we might be feeling a lot of loneliness being separated from our friends and families. Having a pet in the house can help alleviate these feelings of loneliness or sadness by providing comfort and putting a smile on your face. It has been proven that animals help improve humans’ mental health. Studies show that the simple act of petting a dog or cat’s furry head can lower blood pressure and relieve stress. It has a positive calming effect and will reduce anxiety.

Save Lives

Shelters everywhere are getting swamped with animals as people worry about their financial situations or whether their dog/cat can transmit Covid-19 to humans. Luckily, in the United States, there has been no evidence that dogs and cats can give this specific illness to their owners. Shelters also face euthanization. Animal experts worry that the euthanization rate will increase as more and more animals pile into overworked shelters. They are relying on foster families to swoop in and help out. So go save a life and contribute to an important cause!

If you are able, please consider welcoming a pet into your home. They will truly benefit and enrich your life!

Emily is a junior and majoring in English at Michigan State University.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!