Why We Should Rethink New Year’s Resolutions This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Each year the concept of having a “New Year’s Resolution,” has been a part of the Western culture for decades. The practice originated from ancient Babylonians making promises to their gods at the start of every year. So why do we still have similar practices now? Growing up I would see adults making promises to the gym, a new diet, or a completely new lifestyle. Modern-day, New Year’s resolutions seem to be controlled by consumerism– the need to look a certain way and the need to buy certain things. According to Ohio State University, only about 9 percent of Americans stick with their resolutions; most of them quit by the end of January. Personally, I admire the concept of bettering oneself and setting goals to meet for the new year. As an adult, I strive to make lasting and meaningful changes to my life– not just a four-week fantasy.

The concept of a resolution is hard and fast. As humans we cannot be expected to dramatically change our lifestyle overnight; and in some cases, it may not be healthy. Ohio State’s Fisher college of business unpacks why our resolutions may not stick. “So many resolutions are set because it is tradition. Goals are your vision of what you would like the future to look like. If you are setting a resolution for tradition’s sake, then your motivation will be lacking compared to a goal set because of a need.” I think that this quote is at the core of why most of America does not follow through with these ‘resolutions.’ 

My personal advice is to imagine what your ideal life would look like. Once you have that image, break down what you need to do in order to achieve that life. For example, many people set the resolution of going to the gym for the new year– but why? The most important part of every goal is the why. The second most important part of every goal is the how. “The first step to getting anywhere is deciding where you want to go.” Heidi Grant Halvorson writes in her novel “Succeed: How we can reach our goals.” Grant advises that when we want to achieve something, to write two things down. One: what is the action that you are attempting to achieve? (Example: waking up early).  Two: why do you want to take that action? What is the purpose of this action for you? What goal does it help you achieve? How will you benefit from it? (Example: I want to go to the gym to feel and look healthier. Going to the gym will help my body build muscle and lose fat. Going to the gym will help me achieve my goal of being able to dance professionally again. Achieving that goal will help me with depression, creative expression, and health issues.) 

Instead of coming up with a resolution on the spot this year; rethink what your goals are, how you can achieve them, and why you want to achieve them. Writing these things down will help connect the body and mind when changing habits. This method should help your goals for the new year stick longer than the first four weeks.

Emma George-Griffin has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since fall of 2022. George-Griffin is Senior at Michigan State University Studying Journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting and editing, and a minor in Documentary Production. She plans on earning her bachelor degree from Michigan State University in the spring of 2025, and plans to earn her Masters degree from the University in the winter of 2026. When she isn't working or in class, George-Griffin enjoys spending time in nature, reading Tarot, and painting.