Life > Experiences

Why Valentine’s Day Isn’t Just for Your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is this Sunday. If you’re in a relationship, you probably already knew this, but if you’re currently single, it might be a day you’re not looking forward to. I’m here to tell you that you can still have fun celebrating the holiday, even when you’re not in a relationship. You can celebrate other people in your life such as your friends and family. Valentine’s Day is about love, and there are so many people in our life that we love. As hard as it is with COVID, we can still find safe ways to celebrate our loved ones this February 14th.

Chocolate and flowers have been a staple of Valentine’s Day for as long as I can remember, and they’re still great gifts, but not exclusively for your significant other. Your grandmother would love to receive a nice bouquet of roses, your mom would love fresh baked cookies, and it would make your best friend’s day if they got a Valentine’s day gift from you. Speaking of which, if you’re not a fan of Valentine’s Day and nothing will change your mind, try celebrating “Galentine’s Day”. This holiday celebrated on February 13th was made famous by Amy Poehler’s character on “Parks and Recreation”, Leslie Knope in order to celebrate her girlfriends. Although it may be unsafe to celebrate with big parties as she did, we can still celebrate the friends in our life. Whether it’s sending them flowers or just a heartfelt text about how much they mean to you, you can brighten their days this holiday.

Love isn’t just romantic. There are different kinds of love, and we can celebrate all of them on Valentine’s Day. So do something nice for your parents, send flowers to your friends, just do something nice for someone else that you love. After all, Valentine’s Day is about celebrating the love and connections we have with others.