Life > Experiences

Why I Kind of Loved Quarantine in 2020 — Reflecting 4 Years Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As we come upon the fourth anniversary (can you even call it that?) of the COVID-19 pandemic, it seems that everything has finally returned to some sort of normal. That doesn’t mean we all aren’t still reflecting on that strange time, reminiscing about just how crazy it all was. While it was a very trying and difficult time overall, I have found that after these few years, I look back on it quite fondly.

While the idea of the “coronavirus” still seemed like something from a fantasy, something that would never reach us, I was in my freshman year of high school. I had just tried out for club volleyball and I got a part in a student-lead play at my school. On paper, these activities sound really fun and exciting, but I was actually really anxious about them. Freshman year is when my introverted side really started to take over, and with that came lots of social anxiety. I felt like I wasn’t good at making friends, so the thought of not knowing anyone on a volleyball team or in the cast of the play was terrifying. I pictured myself standing on the outside alone while everyone else had fun (a bit dramatic, I know). 

When the possibility of our school and other organizations shutting down increased, I began to feel a little relieved. When the announcement was made that quarantine was real, it felt like a cinderblock got lifted off my chest and shoulders; The nightmare that I thought was coming got pushed to the side.

Suddenly, I had so much time on my hands. There was no one else that needed my energy anymore, and I could finally put all my attention on myself and what I truly wanted to do. I read more, found new music, sat outside, started bullet journaling, and tried baking. I could sleep in, enjoy the nights, and take the days slowly. I felt so much less anxiety and pressure. It was wonderful.

This feeling wasn’t just me, either. There were people all over Tik Tok and other platforms sharing what was keeping them busy during quarantine. People were baking bread, sharing their favorite new books, and talking about what things they learned about life. Even though COVID-19 was scary and quarantining got bleak sometimes, it felt like the stressors of life were put on pause.

Quarantine really opened my eyes and changed my perspective on certain aspects of life. I realized how important alone time was for me and my social battery. I remembered how much I loved to read and write. I was able to find beauty and excitement in small things. And overall, I discovered for myself that there was so much more to life than school and work.

I was very privileged to be able to take such a scary time and make it into something good. I know not everyone had this experience, but I’m so thankful that I could. If there is ever a time in your life where you get a break — whether it be expected or very unexpected — I encourage you to slow down, let yourself catch a breath, and remember that we’re all just humans trying to experience life in ways that make us happy.

Alayna VanDoeselaar is a writer for Her Campus at MSU. This is only her second semester with HCMSU, and she is looking forward to all the amazing things that Her Campus will bring! Alayna is a freshman at Michigan State studying English with a concentration in creative writing. She loves writing short stories, poetry, and lifestyle articles! She hopes to go into editing, publishing, and writing in her future career. In her free time, Alayna likes to read, write, look for new music to listen to, and go thrifting. She can be found on Instagram at @alaynavand.