This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

So here we are:  contemplating the finer nuances of human behavior. This is something I usually do when I’m desperately trying to avoid my physics homework, but this time I decided to dig deep to see exactly what itches that sweet, sweet creative spot in my brain.

I –like most of us– grew up with stories where true proclamations of love were written in the form of the most beautiful letters one would ever see. Hollywood movies popularized these proclamations of love with passionate speeches and monologues –usually outside one’s window– that made us feel all nice and gooey on the inside. 

For the longest time, I was fascinated by the people who wrote such dialogues. Was it talent? Was it passion? Or was this an ability everyone possessed?

As humans, we have this inherent need to be passionate about something. We look for anything that provides us with this warm, cozy feeling in our hearts and brings joy to us and those around us. For many, this need includes scrapbooking, playing an instrument, cooking/baking for family and for the purpose of this article, writing. 

I love writing not because it gives me purpose, but because it gives me validation. It’s a task that allows me to pick things from the thick soup that is my brain, and give it meaning on something tangible. It doesn’t have to be a poem or a story. Something as simple as filling out my planner gives me the comfort of knowing that I’m doing something I enjoy. 

Many people I know write because it’s the best way they can express themselves. They write in their journals, read it many years down the line, and laugh or cry. Writing makes you, YOU. It inspires you to truly romanticize a seemingly ordinary moment in your life, and introduces you to a richer understanding of the happenings in your life. 

You’re telling a story, to yourself or to others, and in the seemingly boring drag of regular day-to-day life, this storytelling is like a sunny day after weeks of rain.

I truly believe that writing doesn’t have to be profound or even intricate. Our writings don’t exist to be perfect, they exist just to be.

I truly believe that writing anything helps me calm down and understand what needs to be done, or even how I’m feeling that day. 

We live in confusing times, and a little bit of writing with your favorite playlist playing in the background, truly helps you put a little bit of color in a seemingly monochromatic world. 

Sanskriti is an undergraduate astrophysics major who loves to read and is very passionate about making and eating dumplings. She is the current Vice President of the Astronomy Club at Michigan State University, and can often be found hunting for new horror podcasts to listen to.