What’s Your Favorite Thing About Being a Woman: Told by 5 Her Campus MSU Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

In honor of Women’s History Month coming to a close, and the dedication made by our lovely chapter ladies, I asked five Her Campus MSU chapter members one question: 

Why do you love being a woman? 

Here is what they said: 

1. Kaytlyn Gannon (President of HCMSU) 

“As hard as it is to try and prove myself, it is so rewarding. Being involved in cheer and Her Campus, which are made up of the majority of women, I have experienced my accomplishments being treated differently as opposed to a male sport or other student organizations. Also, being a woman going into business, as hard as it’s going to be, I’m ready to take over and show them what a woman can do.” 

1. Lauren Welch (Secretary for HCMSU) 

“For me, I think women are underestimated in every field, so to be able to prove that we are as capable as anybody else in a sport or workforce is powerful and shows how determined women are.”

1. Hannah Ramirez (Editor for HCMSU) 

“I love being a woman for the compassion that it gives me. I have the ability to love, care, and provide for people. I also love the sisterhood I find with other feminine people. The music, jokes, fashion, art, and activism that we make are just amazing. I am inspired by other women every day to be the best person I can be, even against exhausting systems of violence and discrimination. For me, womanhood is not about beauty, motherhood, or even femininity really. To me, being a woman is the determination to be yourself in a world that tries to shame you from all angles.” 

1. Shrishti Jalan (HCMSU Staff Writer) 

“I love being a woman because I have received so much support and love from all the women in my life. It instills a sense of pride within me that someday I will be a loving and supportive person in someone’s life too because it has been passed onto me as part of my womanhood. At every stage of my story, I have found a community of strong, creative, compelling, and truly extraordinary women who inspire me to be my best self and care for me on days when I fail to be just that.” 

1. Sydney Savage (HCMSU Staff Writer)

“For me, being a woman is amazing, but the amazing part comes from me as an individual, as a human being. In the past, when women were underestimated, or other groups of people were treated unfairly, I feel like we give greater attention to the people who become role models in those groups. An example is body image and plus-sized models. However, I think it’s wrong. Plus-size shouldn’t be a thing because they should be treated equally in the first place. It should just be they’re a model with a different body type. A woman engineer should get praised, but not more than a man. When I accomplish something great, I give myself credit, not my gender. Keeping all that in mind, I like persevering, being successful, being kind, being confident, and overcoming adversity. By getting rid of the “because I’m a woman part” does so much. I like being a woman to help work on equality which I think still needs work.” 

Women’s history month is more than just appreciating women for 31 days, but appreciating women 365 days of the year. We should always remind ourselves that we are capable. We are worthy. We are strong. We are women, and be damn proud of it.

Genevieve Fox is a senior at Michigan State University studying Environmental Journalism. She is an E-Board Member and Design Chair for Her Campus MSU. She has designed Her Campus MSU merch for the years 2021 and 2022. Her writing has been featured in the Spartan Newsroom, Great Lakes Echo, Capital News Service, and WKAR. She also has audio work featured on The Food Fix podcast and WKAR-radio.