This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

It feels almost oxymoronic to call these next four months the spring semester, given that the first break from bleak winter conditions happens around finals week. The fall is filled to the brim with fun events, from move-in to football to homecoming to Thanksgiving break. And with the novelty of college life and a new year wearing away, spring semester drags on. Still, I’m looking forward to this next semester, and here’s why.

1. Springticipation

Are you settled into college life and looking to add some more extracurriculars? Looking to make some more friends? Maybe stop by the Her Campus MSU table because it’s obviously the coolest one there? On Tuesday, Jan. 17 from 5-8 PM clubs and organizations at MSU will be gathering at the Stem Building to recruit for the coming semester!

2. Holidays and celebrations

I am a human second, Valentine’s Day apologist first. Even for the chronically single like myself, it is still a super great holiday for expressing your love to everyone – roommates, friends and family alike. St. Patrick’s Day is huge here at MSU, something I didn’t realize until my first endeavor into East Lansing. While there’s plenty of adult ways to celebrate, it can be fun no matter what you do. Just dressing up can be easy when you go to a school that can’t stop chanting “Go green!” On the non-secular side of things, there’s Ramadan, Easter and Passover. Additionally, these next few months house Black History Month and Women’s History Month.

3. Spring Break

It’s a classic, I don’t have to explain why it’s great. Move over, Fall Break, with your paltry two days off, we’re ready for the traditional week-long mid-semester break enjoyed by thousands upon thousands of students. Whether it’s staying home with family or jet setting on a vacation, it is certainly well deserved.

4. Spring concert

Though the date and band(s) haven’t been announced yet, traditionally MSU puts on a concert for its students. It’s relatively low cost and held at a venue right on campus.

5. Lots of free sports

Though our football season ended rather embarrassingly last year, there are so many games to see on campus. And, many of them are free for students. Women’s basketball, baseball and softball are just a few examples of what’s available to students, with more on MSU’s athletic website. It’s an easy and fun event to spend time with your friends or roommates, or just to get out of your tiny dorm or sad apartment.

Despite having to brace the winter cold and inevitable burn-out, there is still so much to look forward to this semester at Michigan State.

Madison Reinhold is Marketing Director, Events Assistant and Staff Writer for Her Campus at MSU. She leads the Design Team which produces content for social media as well as merch and recruitment, in addition to planning team events and contributing articles to Her Campus. Madison is a senior studying journalism with a concentration in writing, reporting, and editing, with minors in women's and gender studies and history. She also interns for MSU's Center for Gender in Global Context, creating social media content, contributing to their newsletter, and editing their department magazine. She previously interned for local non-profit The Women's Center of Greater Lansing. Additionally, she works for MSU's College of Social Science Office of Student Success, providing supplemental instruction to students. In her precious free time, Madison is attempting to write her first novel, playing fetch with her dog, Hazel, or finding a new niche history book to obsess over.