This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I am 19 years old. I have witnessed three presidential administrations, all of which were led by men.

Never have I turned on the State of the Union Address and been greeted by someone who understands the fear, belittlement and discomfort that I have endured. Never have I been greeted by a woman. 

On Nov. 3, this could all change. 

I have two words for you: Kamala Harris.

After watching the VP debate, I was obsessed. Senator Harris addressed topics ranging from the coronavirus pandemic to climate change, all without missing a beat. 

While Vice President Pence twisted words in an attempt to argue unwarranted claims, Sen. Harris remained calm and dealt with the issues at hand. 

Midway through the debate, VP Pence asked for time to respond to Sen. Harris’s point. The moderator, Susan Page, allowed. When Sen. Harris asked for the same thing, the moderator told her that her time must be cut short.

Aware of this utter unfairness, Sen. Harris demanded equal time. She vocalized her needs and wants, as women all should. 

Sen. Harris also said five words that nearly broke the internet. 

“Mr. Vice President, I’m speaking.” *mic drop*

After she said this, I felt hope—a hope I believe transcended throughout all women. 

The amount of times I’ve been silenced by men is almost unsettling. From a group of arrogant male engineers belittling me for studying journalism, to conservative males dominating the conversation in the classroom, I’ve been there. Oh God, I really have been there.

This ends today.

If Joe Biden is elected president with Sen. Harris as his running mate, this feeling of female empowerment will continue. In fact, it will grow stronger. 

A woman VP shouldn’t be a radical choice, it should be a logical one. 

Just as a member of the 1% shouldn’t make decisions for impoverished individuals, a man shouldn’t make decisions for a woman. Sen. Harris would provide insight and ensure that women are both respected and heard. 

Sen. Harris would give women courage—the courage to demand respect, the courage to speak their minds, and dare I say it, the courage to dream.

Hunter is a journalism student at Michigan State University. With a concentration in broadcast media and a minor in Spanish, she is passionate about storytelling and creating empathy through understanding.