Life > Academics

What I wish I knew as a College Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

After 4 years of meeting new people and learning new things, my senior year has been looking back on everything I wish I knew as a freshman. If you’re anything like myself, freshman year was hard. I was lonely, wanting to go home every weekend and found it hard to make new friends. If there is anything I can tell you it is that you’re not alone. Most likely, every other freshman is having the same feelings. Read along for my tips on surviving freshman year. 

Making new friends as a freshman was one of my hardest tasks. You leave your hometown friends, and are forced to interact with people who you don’t know. Don’t be discouraged if you haven’t found your pack, you have four more years to meet new people! I found my group of friends at the end of my sophomore year. I started to be more open and grew more confident throughout college. Understand that every other freshman is in the same boat that you’re in. It’s totally fine  to sit by someone random at class or leave your door open to your dorm room. It takes time but you’ll find those people who will bring you happiness and make you feel at home!

I can’t stress this enough… join clubs and organizations! Joining on-campus activities is the perfect way to make new friends and build your resume! It can also be a great way to shake off some stress from actual classes. Whether it’s a greek organization or the campus newspaper, join whatever you’re interested in!

During my freshman year, I struggled with saying “no” to people and activities. Understand it’s ok to say “no” and do your own thing. There will be sporting events, parties and other functions but take care of yourself first. Finding a balance between school and other activities is the best thing you can do. I know it can feel like it’s  “not cool” to say no, but it’s important for your mental health. This goes along with visiting home. I had a hard time being away from home my freshmen year, so I went home every other weekend and that’s totally ok! Don’t let others tell you what you should be doing! The first priority is yourself! 

If you haven’t realized this by now, college classes operate differently than high school. Create schedules, plan study hours and visit the library! Staying on top of your schoolwork is important for success! College has multiple on-campus resources for your learning experience, check them out! It’s even cool to acquaint yourself with your professors! They could be great sources for future references. 

Freshman year may be difficult for you, but trust me it gets better! These are some of the best years of your life, so take advantage of them before the real world. Everything will work out in the end, stay positive and open-minded!

Chloe West is a Junior at Michigan State University studying journalism and public relations. She writes for VIM Magazine, the Spartan Newsroom and Her Campus MSU.