This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Now that I’m a junior, I realize that although I learned a lot during my freshman year of college, my sophomore year was far more monumental. But why is that, and what exactly did I learn? As one of the unfortunate high school seniors that graduated in 2020, I never had an in-person college experience during my freshman year. Instead, sophomore year was my first proper introduction to college. And what an introduction it was! So here is what I learned from my late start to college life.

1. Keep your mind and heart open!

While this may seem super cliche and overstated, it’s completely true. At the beginning of college, I really struggled with making friends and enjoying life. I kept wondering why I wasn’t developing connections as quickly as my peers were. Now, I realize that while I wanted to make friends; I wasn’t actively making any efforts toward finding friends. I urge everyone to put themselves out there! Take a risk and join a club you would never join. I ended up finding the most unexpected connections when I made the most spontaneous decisions!

1. Don’t be afraid of change!

College is very uncertain. I am the type of person who makes plans and intends to stick to those plans. Very quickly, I realized that life doesn’t go as planned. Take me, for example. In the middle of my sophomore year, I realized that I didn’t want to be studying at my current college. So I transferred to Michigan State University, and I’m having so much fun exploring this beautiful campus and the amazing people here. 

1. Take care of yourself!

Put yourself first! College is so hectic, and sometimes, the stress can become overbearing. It is so important to set aside time for yourself. I like to have Sunday resets where I clean my apartment and do some self-care. It is also important to stay hydrated and eat meals at appropriate times. I myself have been a victim of yummy late-night snacks, but in the long run, a healthy diet will pay off. Lastly, make sure to give yourself breaks. It is impossible to produce your best work when your brain is emotionally exhausted, so take a break!
Although these seem like three super simple tips, college can be very emotionally and physically draining. My sophomore year was full of twists and turns that I never expected, but I’m happier on the other side! I cannot wait to try to follow my tips and make my junior year even better!

A junior at MSU, majoring in human biology and minoring in business!