This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

I know it’s only been three months, but 2021 has taught me many lessons already. It’s been a little rough for a while because of everyone’s life drastically changing, but things have gotten better, and it’s only going up from here. We are all going to make it through this. Here are 3 things I’ve learned in the three months into 2021. 

I’ve learned that sometimes doing your best isn’t always your “best” 

After doing online schooling for almost a year now, it’s been very draining and exhausting. It’s not easy, and I’ve learned that sometimes just doing the work, and not stressing yourself out is the best you can do, and that’s okay. Don’t make yourself work hard only to hurt your physical or mental health. Health comes first and if you don’t take care of yourself, you can’t be your best self. 

Let yourself have fun when you are stressed

I always have a problem where I cannot relax until I have everything done, like homework, chores, etc. I realized finally, after months of having this issue, that you have to let yourself relax. Taking a bath, reading, watching a movie, whatever it is, relax and take a break. The homework isn’t going anywhere, the chores will eventually get done. Just make a moment out of your day or week, and just do something you want to do. Don’t make yourself miserable because your self-being is always more important. 

Don’t seclude yourself from people who care about you

This pandemic has made me feel the most secluded I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I felt that no one understood how I felt, and how much it sucks to not be able to do what you want to do because your and people’s health and safety are more important. I’ve learned that as long as you are being safe, and have your small group of friends, you’ll always be okay. You might sometimes feel like you’re alone, but trust me, everyone else has their own things they gotta deal with. Let yourself be vulnerable with people who you know love and care about you, because you’ll both be able to help each other through these tough times. 

I still have much more to learn from 2021, and every year is a year to learn, grow, and better yourself as a person. 2020 was a year of change and uncomfortable moments, but 2021 is a year for bettering ourselves and the lives of the ones around us. 

Genevieve Fox is a senior at Michigan State University studying Environmental Journalism. She is an E-Board Member and Design Chair for Her Campus MSU. She has designed Her Campus MSU merch for the years 2021 and 2022. Her writing has been featured in the Spartan Newsroom, Great Lakes Echo, Capital News Service, and WKAR. She also has audio work featured on The Food Fix podcast and WKAR-radio.