Wearable Spring Trends for Under $50

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Although it’s still freezing here on campus, spring will be here soon enough.  And with spring comes new fashion trends to try!  This season, get ahead of the curve by planning out your spring wardrobe and incorporating some of these pieces early on.  Focus on unique details like pleating, open shoulders, and suit inspired clothing.  Another big thing for spring is incorporating colors—both bright and pastel—into your closet. 

This dress from Old Navy does a fantastic job of using three different trends in one piece without looking too busy.  Tangerine is a huge predicted color for spring as well as being a great way to brighten up your look from dreary winter darks.  A small all-over print and flowy chiffon soften a dress in this hue and make it wearable for class.

$34.94 

[pagebreak]

White heels were seen all over the runways during New York Fashion Week last year.  While most of them were pretty crazy looking, it’s easy to make this trend wearable by finding shoes with a lower heel and no crazy details.  The big thing to take away from the white heels trend is that the shoes were all very dainty—no platform pumps here!  These shoes from ModCloth fit the bill perfectly.

$49.99

[pagebreak]

Unique shoulders are another spring trend to look out for.  There’s rounded shoulders, one-shoulder, and, my favorite, cold shoulders.  Cold shoulders, also known as peekaboo or open shoulders are a great way to show some skin in an unexpected place.  This top from Forever 21 will keep you looking casual while still showing off your trendy style and give you some subtle sexiness.

$12.80

[pagebreak]

Bra tops and Crop tops are a style that made an appearance last year and are back for another round.  These looks can be tricky to pull off, but when done right they will give you some serious street style cred.  Tops like this one from American Eagle would work underneath a sheer top or just a blazer for a night out.  

$19.50 or 2 for $15.50

[pagebreak]

While a crop top such as this one from American Eagle might be better during the day it can also transition into night.  Depending on what you’re comfortable with, either wear a tank underneath or just show a little stomach.  Either way, a crop top accentuates your waist and makes it look smaller.  I would suggest trying a crop top on before you buy it because they all tend to fit different depending on the brand and style. 

$12.25 on sale now

[pagebreak]

Remember when Targets everywhere sold out their Missoni for Target collection within minutes?  Yeah, that trend is still going strong.  However this time around, you’re encouraged to make this look your own.  Enjoy pastel colors and lace details?  Then pick up this dress from Forever 21, a perfect example of making a trend fit your personal style better.  If big patterns are more you, then consider an item that focuses more on color blocking with chevrons.  Any way you do it, zigzags and chevrons are flattering and super cool.

$22.80

[pagebreak]

Looking put together will ensure you’re always looking classy, but this spring that gets taken up a notch with suit inspired pieces.  The runways featured whites and creams, just like these shorts from Mod Cloth.  You can either pair your trouser inspired shorts with a matching blazer or keep it casual with a flowy top.  Whether you pair these pieces together or wear them separately, you’re look will be polished and sophisticated. 

$44.99

[pagebreak]

Pastels can usually be found once spring rolls around; this year it’s all about the pants and jackets.  A pastel pink blazer, such as this one from Forever 21 or pale yellow jeans like these from American Eagle can give your outfit a girly vibe.  It can be tricky to wear these light colors on items you normally wouldn’t, but pairing these pastels with white or cream colored basics is so easy and looks super trendy! 

$32.80 for blazer 

$44.50 for jeans

Lauren is a fifth year senior at Michigan State University pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Journalism with a specialization in Editorial Reporting which she will graduate with in the summer of 2012. She previously graduated in May 2011 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in Apparel and Textile Design. Last summer she interned at 944 magazine which helped to strengthen her love for journalism. Lauren loves planning events such as the MSU Annual Undergraduate Fashion Exhibit last year where she had some of her designs and clothing featured. She loves sewing in her spare time and creating beautiful clothes for herself, friends and family. Lauren also enjoys entering her designs into fashion shows such as the Annual Apparel and Textile Design Fashion Show last spring on campus where one of her dresses was a finalist for the judges choice award. She loves any kinds of sweets, cooking, crazy nail polish colors, Italian and Mexican food, shopping for shoes, MSU football games and watching The Devil Wears Prada over and over. Lauren is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and is very eager to begin the Her Campus branch at Michigan State!