Way To Go Sport! – How To Tackle The Sports Bra Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Way to Go, Sport.

Just when you thought the crop top was enough.

While flipping through the pages of the January issue of Nylon Magazine, I came across a spread that made me scratch my head a bit. “Are sports bras the new crop tops?” Well…are they? Last year, fashionistas near and far were subtly baring their midriffs with their favorite crops paired with high-waisted jeans, skirts, and shorts, but apparently this year, it’s time to kick things up a notch. Although I was initially skeptical of the trend, I did some research (Thank God for Google and Polyvore), and I can now say that it’s growing on me just a teensy-weensy bit. And while you won’t see me anytime soon going from the gym to the club with my sports bra on (mainly because I don’t go to the gym at all), I’m still here to give you tips on how to get that effortless sporty-chic look that you’ve always wanted.

Funk it up: For those of you that actually do go to the gym, this one’s for you! If you’ve got errands to run after your workout, swap your sweats for a pair of skinnies, an oversized denim jacket and combat boots. No one will ever know that you were just breaking a sweat on the treadmill.

(Nike ‘Pro-Indy’ Stretch-Jersey Sports Bra, $45, www.Macys.com; H&M Superstretch Trousers, $38, www.HM.com; Denim Jacket, $30, www.HM.com; Clutch, $24, www.NastyGal.com; Boots, $145, www.LaneCrawford.com)

Dress it up: If you don’t want to go with the traditional-looking sports bra, try a bralette instead. This Calvin Klein Dual Tone bralette would look perfect underneath a neon yellow blazer and distressed boyfriend jeans. If you’re feeling bold enough, add another pop of color with royal blue pumps and a crisp white clutch. You’ll be sure to turn heads all evening.

(Calvin Klein Dual Tone Bra, $51, www.Flannels.com; H&M Boyfriend Low Jeans, $23, www.HM.com; Choies Yellow Slim Lapel Blazer, $18, www.Choies.com; White Tbar Clutch, $29, www.Bardot.com.au; ASOS ‘Pensive’ Pointed High Heels, $40, www.ASOS.com)

Keep it monochromatic: A black racerback sports bra paired with a black asymmetrical skirt will have you looking sleek and cool all night long. Tiny gold midi rings and your favorite dancing shoes, like these black heeled ankle booties, will help to pull everything together.

(PIECES Boxer Sports Bra, $20, www.Pieces.com; Black Wrap Belted Skirt, $23, www.Newlook.com; Rings, www.Weekday.com; ALDO ‘HickoryHills’ Clutch, $20, www.AldoShoes.com; Blackfive Solid Tone Zipper Platform Black Heel Boots, $48, www.BlackFive.com)

Make it classy: I know what you’re thinking: how the heck can you make a sports bra look classy? But believe it or not, it’s possible. Pair your sports bra with a midi skirt and a cape for a southwestern-meets-bohemian type of vibe. With this look, go ahead and layer up the jewelry. Midi rings, statement earrings, and a dainty gold chain would be ideal in this case. Don’t forget your wide brim hat and booties!

(‘T’ by Alexander Wang Jersey Sports Bra, $59, www.TheOutnet.com; Chicnova Fashion Knitting Pleated Skirt, $18, www.ChicNova.com; Topshop Check Print Cape, $68, www.Nordstrom.com; ASOS Fedora Hat, $38, www.ASOS.com; Jessica Simpson ‘Aggie’ Bootie, $41, www.6PM.com)

Remain casual: If you’re more on the chill side, you can easily take your sports bra and match it with joggers and a comfy flannel and still look über cool. Wheat Timberlands or sneakers would be your best bet with this ‘fit. Don’t wanna look too casual? Throw on a red lip!

(Calvin Klein Modern Cotton Bralette, $24, www.Macys.com; Joggers, $20, www.HollisterCo.com; ‘Ride or Die’ Flannel, $48, www.ShopJawBreaking.com; Timberland ‘Nellie’ Ankle Booties, $100, www.Macys.com; M•A•C ‘Lady Bug’, $16, www.Bloomingdales.com)

Now that you’ve gotten a better understanding of the trend, it’s time for me to pose the big question: Will you be sporting sports bras this year?    

I am a Michigan State University senior dual majoring in Journalism and Apparel & Textile Design. I love writing and fashion equally and have vivid dreams of becoming a successful fashion journalist! I'm a native of Detroit, MI and I hope to one day use my talents to help build a stronger fashion industry in "The D".
Hi Collegiettes!I'm Amber Taylor, Campus Correspondent at Michigan State University!I will graduate from MSU this May with a degree in journalism and a specialization in design. I am a native Chicagoan who loves shopping for anything from shoes, to midi rings to plates from Crate & Barrel. In my spare time, I enjoy live music and observing contemporary art. SO excited to get MSU more involved with HerCampus this year!Feel free to reach out to me! -HCXOAmber