Life > Experiences

Upcoming Film Festivals to Attend in the Lansing Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

An overlooked aspect I see on campus are the film festivals that are within the area – including the ones on campus. As a film studies minor, I was shocked at how prevalent film festivals and the culture is in both East Lansing and Lansing. Once you’re able to find the opportunities to view very unique films, it’s incredibly hard to stop. As the spring semester is already in full swing, here are five film festivals in the Lansing area that you should keep an eye out for. 

1. Latinx Film Festival (Feb 15-18) 

Happening Feb.15 through 18, the Latinx Film Festival is being introduced again this year after a four year hiatus following the COVID-19 pandemic. The film festival, which includes live music, theater, and more, contains a line-up of fifteen independent films from Latin America, Spain, and the United States. While a wide-range of film genres are included, the festival this year holds a special focus on gun violence, and includes other prevalent themes such as immigration, class, and gender. The majority of films and special events are free and open to the public, so keep this festival in mind for this upcoming weekend! 

1. Lake Michigan Film Festival (Feb 29-Mar 3)

Partnering with the East Lansing Film Festival (ELFF), the Lake Michigan Film Festival showcases regional films from independent filmmakers. Occurring in two different sessions on Feb.29 and March 1-3, there are several opportunities for student films to be displayed, which is an interesting and heartwarming addition to the festival. Furthermore, instead of having a strict lineup of films, there are entries labeled “Short Documentaries”and  “Short Films,” with a curated selection of several short films to watch in one sitting. 

1. Capital City Film Festival (Apr 10-20)

Occurring from Apr. 10-20, the Capital City Film Festival is a nice celebration to attend during the end of the spring semester. Happening right in the heart of Lansing, the CCFF features artists from around the world through independent films, live music, and interactive media. Furthermore, the CCFF offers volunteer opportunities with the addition of seeing all shows and events for free. With multiple venues, such as The Fledge Lansing and The Robin Theatre, this festival is a great plan for culminating an end to the semester and the start of summer!

1. Moonlight Film Festival (Summer 2024)

While later in the year, the Moonlight Film Festival is still an exciting film festival to look forward to and include in your summer plans. Starting approximately in July and ending in August, this outdoor festival is showing at the Valley Court Park and starts at dusk. Reminiscent of drive-in theaters, the festival will show names that you’re familiar with, such as Barbie (2023) and Wonder (2017). With four distinct categories (Family Movie Night, Teen Night, Rom-Com, and History Night), you’re able to vote on which entries you’d like to see and have a nice evening outside watching a film!

1. Film Collective (weekly at MSU) 

Last but certainly not least is the Film Collective screenings offered by the Film Studies department at Michigan State University. Showing weekly on Thursdays (7PM) in Wells Hall, this recurring event is free and open to everyone, not just students! With distinct themes each semester, the Film Collective is a fun way to watch a film right at the heart of MSU’s campus. After the film, you have the option of staying for the discussion of the film, which will enrich your experience. With new speakers to introduce each film, I highly recommend this event to anyone I come across and believe it’s worth your while!

Whether you’re a cinephile or a casual watcher, film festivals are made to include everyone’s tastes and be an inclusive experience where you’re able to come out with a great experience. These upcoming film festivals are great for all people who are interested in having a fun time and watching films and events that they’ve hadn’t been exposed to before. I know that I personally will try to attend the most that I can, and I hope you do the same! 

Belma Hodzic has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since spring of 2022. Belma Hodzic is a junior at Michigan State University. A student of MSU's James Madison College, she is seeking a dual-degree in Comparative Cultures and Politics and World Politics, while double-minoring in Film Studies and Women and Gender Studies. She aspires to go into filmmaking or documentary production in the aim of representing marginalized communities and bringing culture into conversation. When she isn't studying, she enjoys exploring the horror genre and all things creepy. In her free time, she enjoys reading, drawing, watching and analyzing movies, as well as spending time with her friends.