Spoon Csu-Blueberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Brook Buchan / Spoon
Wellness > Health

Treating Yourself With Delicious Allergy Friendly Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Warning: Please make sure to read labels carefully before consuming any products. While these premade cookie doughs have it clearly stated to be allergen safe both on the anterior and posterior sides of the packaging, this is not the case for all products. This article is not to educate you on how to handle your own allergies or food sensitivities, but rather to make suggestions on consumable products.  

For moms of kids with allergies to commonplace ingredients, or individuals just now making the transition from a diet isolated from an “everyday” diet, it can be hard to find suitable replacements for the classic snacks. Cookies, cakes, tortillas, pizza, and even cereal can all be affected by even the smallest component or the facility it’s made in. Any one of these plethora of mistakes can make food inedible for risk of deteriorating health.

One product that may go unnoticed on the refrigerated shelves at the grocery store is a brand called Sweet Loren’s:  a brand dedicated to providing an allergy-friendly alternative to break and bake cookie dough. Their products consist of a few basic ingredients depending on the dough of choice, including:

• Cane Sugar
  • Dairy Free Chocolate Chunks
  • Cocoa Powder
  • Molasses
  • Cinnamon
  • Rolled Oats
  • Potato Starch
  • RSPO-Certified Palm Oil
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Sea Salt
  • Vanilla Flavor
  • Tapioca Starch

These simple ingredients make for a delicious cookie that cooks the same way as one containing eggs, wheat flour, nuts, or milk derivatives (with the added bonus of being safe to eat straight out of the package for a cold, creamy dessert in a pinch). Supporting this business is not only supporting a certified vegan and gluten free brand, but a woman owned business.   

The cookies come in multiple varieties to appease different dessert lovers’ preferences. For diehard chocolate fans, I recommend the double fudgy brownie cookies. They melt in your mouth and are a fantastic treat at the end of the day. For classic cookie lovers, the sugar cookie and chocolate chunk varieties are sure to bring out a smile. The sugar cookies are also great for decorating.  However, fans of cookies looking for something a little different must try the gingerbread cookies. They are to die for.

I recommend these cookies to anyone looking for a fun and easy treat.This also is a great option for parties as there are no nuts in the products, significantly reducing the number of allergen friendly foods needed for birthday parties. They even make a slow Tuesday afternoon taste phenomenal. With my recent transition to being gluten free, this treat is a part of my diet I have gotten to keep. This brand provides the same feeling of making other break-and-bake cookies throughout my life. 

Phebe Jones is the Treasurer for Her Campus at MSU. Jones is a senior studying biochemistry as well as molecular genetics. Jones has published many times by local libraries for summer writing contests. She doesn't write often in her majors and wants to keep in enjoying one of her favorite activities. In her free time, Jones enjoys: reading, videogames, horror movies, listening to music, and cartoons.