Travel Playlist for Going Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Many people travel over the holidays. Some people drive a few minutes down the road to see their grandparents, while some hop on a plane and jet off to a different country to celebrate with family living internationally. No matter how far you have to go this holiday season, be it one hour or twelve, we’ve got your music needs covered! Here is a playlist for your holiday travels.

“White Christmas” by Bing Crosby

This song is a holiday classic sure to put a smile on your face while you reminisce about sentimental holiday moments on your way home.

“All I Want for Christmas (Is You)” by Mariah Carey

This tune is perfect for belting at the top of your lungs as you are driving down the highway. Don’t forget to sing the backup vocals too!

“Last Christmas” by Taylor Swift

If this is your first holiday without your significant other, remind yourself how much better your life is without him or her by listening to this song.

“Take It Easy” by Eagles

While this may not be a holiday song, it’s a guaranteed must-have for every travel playlist. This song has a laid-back vibe with fun lyrics perfect to help you relax and enjoy the ride while heading home for the holidays.

“Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman

Another amazing song for every travel playlist, this song will lull you on the ride or flight home with the chill vocals and acoustic guitar.

“Driving Home for Christmas” by Michael Ball

Although your parents have definitely listened to this song, it still perfectly captures the essence of going home after stressing out over endless exams and papers. There’s nothing quite like going home, and this song illustrates that perfectly with its upbeat lyrics and peppy piano.

“Hermes” by The Skinny Limbs

An energetic song by an up-and-coming Michigan band that will undoubtedly have you bouncing in your seat the whole drive home.

“Sleigh Ride” by fun.

A unique twist on a holiday classic, this song is a fun addition to any Christmas playlist, sure to make you wish you were heading home in a sleigh instead of a car!

“Angela” by The Lumineers

The acoustic guitar in this song makes for a happy, carefree tune. Listen to it as you doze off for a snooze in the backseat.

“Car Crash” by Matt Nathanson

This song is all about changes in life. If you’re coming home from one of your first semesters in college, there are surely many new experiences on your horizon. Listen to this song to remind yourself of how far you’ve come since the beginning of school.

“He Like That” by Fifth Harmony

If there was an award for the best song to sing along to on repeat, this tune would surely be in the running. It’s edgy with a poppy undertone that makes it the perfect combination of sweet and sassy.

Taylor is an alumnus of Michigan State University's James Madison College and Honors college, holding a Bachelor of Arts in Social Relations and Policy and a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. She formerly served as the Editor-in-Chief and co-Campus Correspondent of MSU's chapter. She works in Lansing She's passionate about women's rights, smashing the patriarchy, and adding to her fuzzy sock collection.
Content creator. Editor. Pop culture enthusiast.