Top five Zelda games to play while waiting for Tears of the Kingdom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Tears of the Kingdom is set to release May 12, and there is plenty of time to play some timeless classics in the Legend of Zelda series. The Nintendo Switch online has plenty of Zelda games to play on various emulators, so you can even play some of them for free if you subscribe to the membership. All of the games on my list are available to play on the Switch, and here they are:

5. Link’s Awakening

I really like the play style of this game and the more linear progression through the map. The game is definitely a novelty, as it has many characters that are based on other Nintendo games so it’s not to be taken as seriously as other games in the franchise. This game was rereleased on the Switch in 2019, with a massive overhaul of the graphics so if you want to dish out a few bucks, I think it’s worth it. It’s also playable on the Gameboy emulator and the Gameboy color emulator as the DX version of the game.

4. The Minish Cap

This game feels and plays very similar to Link’s Awakening and it has some of the same mechanics, too. I really like the Kinstone fusion system and the story is engaging. There is a lot you can do in this game and there are a lot of fun and exciting puzzles to solve. It’s playable on the Gameboy color emulator for the Switch.

3. Ocarina of Time

This one is a classic 3D Zelda game that came out for the Nintendo 64. This game features lots of dungeons and an incredibly in-depth story. The controls are confusing on the Switch, but this can be said of any game on the N64 emulator. You can put lots of hours in this game getting the collectibles and Skulltulas or completing the side quests. I would recommend this game to anyone who wants to challenge themselves.

2. Breath of the Wild

This game is an obvious choice for this list, as it can take nearly 200 hours to complete 100% of it. It has many nooks and crannies to explore and more enemies to battle. This game is for anyone with a craving for puzzles and exploration. This game was originally available on the Wii U, but emerged as a timeless classic after its rerelease on the Switch.

1. Skyward Sword

This game seems to be the closest to what we can expect when playing Tears of the Kingdom. It came out for the Wii originally, but you can pick it up for the Switch too. This game does have motion controls, so it can be tough to get used to. I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about the beginning lore to the Legend of Zelda as it’s the first in the complex Zelda timeline. This one has a cute art style that reminds me of The Sims in a way. The gameplay is fun and there are many bosses to conquer. Every fan should play this one before the release of Tears of the Kingdom.

The Legend of Zelda universe is vast and continues to expand with so many games to choose from. Check any one of these out ahead of the new release on May 12.

Bennett is a junior at Michigan State University studying mechanical engineering and German. He is the Vice President of German club and a member of CRU. In his free time he plays games on his Nintendo Switch.