This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

For many of us, classes have just started back up again. I know it can be difficult to take a break from studying, but if you’re looking for a way to unwind after a long day of Zoom meetings and reading textbooks, here are some TV shows that’ll keep you reaching for the popcorn.

Glee (2009-2015)

Glee is one of those shows that never gets old. From the endless drama to the amazing singing, you’ll be hooked after the first episode. The premise of this show revolves around a gang of high school students who all come together after joining their school’s Glee Club. While Glee is known for its ridiculous plot points and satirical humor, the show can be a tear-jerker at times, so grab some tissues!  With all that being said, the show highlights the incredibly talented Naya Rivera and Cory Monteith who have both sadly passed away. Glee is available to stream on Netflix. 

Never Have I Ever (2020-)

This show is one of Netflix’s newer original series. The comedy-drama executive produced by The Office’s Mindy Kaling revolves around a young Indian girl navigating through life after the sudden death of her father. This show touches on topics such as immigration, cultural differences, and teenage struggles. As a daughter of Indian immigrants, this show is heavily retable, but it’s a great watch in general. It’s only 10 episodes and is available to stream on Netflix.

The Haunting of Hill House (2018-)

With Halloween right around the corner this show is a must-watch. Not only is it chilling, but it is a beautiful story of a family torn apart and brought back together due to circumstances out of their control. This is one of my personal favorites. The Haunting of Hill House is based on the novel of the same name by Shirley Jackson which depicts a family moving into a new house. The house is not what it seems and takes a toll on each of the family members individually. The show is set to return on October 9th with a new storyline based on Henry James’ “The Turn of the Screw.” The Haunting of Hill House is available to stream on Netflix. 

Euphoria (2019-)

The hit teen drama starring Zendaya made headlines with its controversial subject matter and content, but with an amazing cast, soundtrack and script, Euphoria is an essential watch for college students. The show centers around high school students who fall in love, face addiction, struggle with mental illness, and experience their teenage years head on. Euphoria is available to stream on HBO Max.

Avatar: The Last Airbender (2005-2008)

Another one of my personal favorites is the Nickelodeon animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender. I’ve loved this show since I was a child but the thing that makes ATLA so special is how any person of any age can watch it and enjoy it. The show is about a nation separated into tribes based on the four elements, water, earth, fire and air. Benders have the ability to master their respective elements, but only the Avatar can master all four elements. The current Avatar has returned after 100 years, and he along with his friends must save the nation from Fire Nation rule. Avatar is available to stream on Netflix.

Good Trouble (2019-)

You’ve probably heard of the hit Freeform show The Fosters, but did you know there is a spin-off? Good Trouble focuses on the adult lives of our favorite Foster sisters, Callie and Mariana. As the women try to navigate adulthood on their own, they face hardships and setbacks along the way. The two sisters learn what it means to grow up in this LA based drama. The show tackles social issues like police brutality, sexism, and LGBTQ+ equality.  Good Trouble is available to stream on Hulu.

Jane the Virgin (2014-2019)

Jane the Virgin is a genuinely funny and beautiful story of a young Latina woman who is raised by her carefree mom and overprotective grandma. Jane finds herself locked in a love triangle with her detective boyfriend and her hotel owner boss when she is accidentally artificially inseminated. The magical realism and the incredible acting make Jane the Virgin one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.Jane the Virgin is available to stream on Netflix.

Daredevil (2015-2018)

Whether you are a Marvel fan or just looking for a show with some action, Daredevil is the perfect watch. Set in a fictional New York town, a young boy is blinded after an accident. As he grows older, he realizes he has superpowers which he uses to practice law by day and fight crime by night. Daredevil is stunning with amazing actors and a great message. This is one of the many Marvel projects I would recommend checking out, even if you’re not big on superheroes. Daredevil is available to stream on Netflix.

Community (2009-2015)

Have you ever seen that GIF of Donald Glover holding the pizza boxes while everything around him is on fire? Not only is it an incredibly funny reaction to send to friends, but it’s also a scene from Community. In this comedy, a lawyer goes back to college where he accidentally forms a study group filled with some…interesting people. I have only personally seen a few episodes of Community, but I have to say it is super underrated. Community is available to stream on Netflix.

Mindhunter (2017)

When you hear the name Jonathan Groff you probably think about his broadway career, his role on Glee or even Kristoff from Frozen. Groff adds humor and drama in every role he plays, but this Netflix crime show proves that he is fantastic in every genre. Mindhunter tells the story of real-life serial killers through the lens of two FBI agents who aim to introduce psychology into the agency. As the agents meet the most famous serial killers, they learn more about themselves and question everything they thought they knew. This thriller is bound to keep you up at night, so grab a friend or two and settle in for some twisted tv. Mindhunter is available to stream on Netflix. 

Saanya Advani is a senior at Michigan State University studying Criminal Justice with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. Her passions include music, a good bowl of noodles, and protesting unjust institutional systems.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.