Top 10 Things to do During Spring Break if You’re Stuck at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring break is right around the corner! It’s the perfect time to escape the cold temps of Michigan and head to the warmth of a tropical island or relax on a white sand beach. But sometimes traveling might not agree with your budget, which makes staying at home for the break your only option. If you’re finding yourself without plans, here are some inexpensive things anyone can do to have fun during this glorious week without classes.

1. Movie Marathon

Netflix symbol on TV with a hand holding a remote
Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

Get comfy with a bag of popcorn and candy and have a Disney movie marathon while belting out the words to some of your favorite classic songs. Or if movies aren’t your thing, start binging a new show on Netflix that you’ve been meaning to start but haven’t gotten around to yet. The possibilities are endless.

2. Craft Day

Brush Painting Color Paint
Daian Gan / Pexels
Whether it’s drawing or painting, taking some time to be creative and free can be super relaxing. To me, painting is especially therapeutic. You don’t have to be an amazing artist to do crafts! However the product turns out, you can be sure to be proud of it and show off your creation to family and friends.

3. Redecorate your Room

Yasmine Boheas
Yasmine Boheas / Unsplash
Sometimes you just need a change of perspective in life and redecorating your room can give you that change. Redecorating can mean anything from adding new room accessories/decor or just rearranging the locations of the items on your desk. You can also do a little spring cleaning while you’re at it.

4. Read a Book

person sitting at the edge of a bed with an open book in their lap and a cup of coffee in hand
Anthony Tran | Unsplash
Reading is something that’s hard to make time for when life gets busy. If you haven’t read a book in a while, curl up with a blanket and pick out something new to read or reread an old favorite. I’ll definitely be doing so this spring break!

5. Girl’s Night

people clinking drink glasses
Photo by Luca Bravo on Unsplash
Gather up a few friends for a night of mani-pedis, face masks, and catching up. Having a girl’s night is a great way to reconnect with old friends who go to different schools. You deserve some self-care time with friends!

6. Thrifting

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl
What better way to occupy your time than thrifting? Head to your local thrift stores to scavenge for some affordable vintage pieces that you’d probably find at a regular store for triple the price. Sometimes, you might strike out but that just makes you treasure your finds even more!

7. Journaling

two yellow pillar candles with a bullet journal and art supplies
Estée Janssens
Journaling can be so calming and it’s a great stress reliever. This activity allows you to organize your thoughts and help make sense of your feelings. After finishing up journaling, it’s like a huge weight will be lifted off of your chest. Journaling doesn’t have to be just a spring break thing to pass the time. It’s a healthy activity to continue on throughout the semester that doesn’t take up a significant amount of time.

8. Work

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash
If you have a job, making some extra money is always a good idea. After your friends return from their pricey vacations, you can put your mind at ease knowing that you’re just a little less broke than they are.

9. Game Night

friends in scrabble letters
Hannah Rodrigo
Having a game night is a fantastic way to spend more time with your family. I don’t know about you, but I don’t see my family often enough so I can’t wait to spend a night playing an intense game of Monopoly or Uno with them and hear their cries of despair as I win round after round.

10. Sleep

girl sleeping in black and white
Kinga Cichewicz
You’ve probably been up for most nights diligently studying for exams. Use this opportunity to recover from mid-terms and catch up on sleep. Try to fix your sleeping schedule, so you’ll be ready to learn when class starts back up again. No more all-nighters! 

Spring break exists for a reason, so do whatever you need to do to relax and have fun!

Emily is a junior and majoring in English at Michigan State University.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.