This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Halloween is on a Saturday this year…. But alas, we’re in a pandemic. So this year may not be party central, and you probably won’t get (multiple) pounds of candy, but you can still make or buy awesome costumes and take pics with your friends. No one likes a boring Halloween costume that everyone has seen and rolled their eyes at (aka Bonnie and Clyde), so I came up with a list of a bunch of fun costumes that people will actually comment on your next insta post, or just appreciate for their derpiness.

Joe Exotic and Carole Baskin

Who wouldn’t wanna be our favorite quarantine dynamic duo — that is Carole Baskin and Joe exotic obviously! Their cat wars and life stories are simply unforgettable. So get a blonde wig, blue zebra print, cat fur, and you’re sure to awe all your feline friends… and maybe human ones too.

Among Us Characters

The very popular meme-worthy game  Among Us is deserving of being a derpy Halloween costume. The characters are adorable, and the red one is my favorite one personally. So which one of you is the imposter and which of you isn’t? Who knows! That’s the beauty of the costumes!

Mr. and Mrs. Potato

So this idea may border on cringey, but I personally believe it has the right amount of cuteness and derpiness. The glasses, the shape, the iconic scenes in not one, not two, not three, but FOUR movies make the potato heads a gread costume idea. This one could also be easy to do with a few dollar store gag items. Super fun!

Weird Food Combos

We all have been guilty of eating weird stuff, or even disgusting stuff together and finding the combo utterly delicious. I enjoy Bosco Sticks with Ranch (ew right? But it’s SO good!), my sister likes her watermelon slices with feta (WTF?!), and of course there’s things like Pizza with… broccoli. But no matter what you choose you’re sure to draw confusion, disgust and/or laughter.

Two Peas in a Pod

Okay, so I think this idea is cool because each person can be the pod and a pea inside, making them a pea in a pod. The irony of this costume is that pods have normally five to six peas so you’d be a tiny pea in a pod. Where are the other three to four peas? Who even knows! The whole point is you two are the most important peas in the pod. Bam!

Perry and Doofenshmirtz

One of my favorite TV shows is Phineas and Ferb, and not just for nostalgia. The show has nuance with relevant jokes, timeless bops (I’m looking at you “Squirrels in my Pants” ), and yes dynamic duos. Monogram and Carl are alright… well, incompetent, but Perry and Doof are the ULTIMATE duo. I think this frenemyship would be such a cool costume idea with your bestie or partner in crime.

Candies

Dressing up as candy honestly sounds not only fun, but also delicious. I for one would like to dress as a pack of Smarties, or a pack of Nerds, or a wrapped up Three Musketeers. I think the more different the candies are the better! And there’s no better way of dealing with the lack of candy than being candy!

Taco Bell Item and Sauce

I’ll admit that this idea can be done with any fast food restaurant but Taco Bell is one of my biggest loves! I suggest being a black bean burrito or a crunchy taco supreme and a classic taco bell sauce (mild,hot, fire, diablo or maybe verde.) If you don’t like sauces with your food… I would just say reconsider your taste please. But regardless, this costume choice is bound to make your friends look at you in awe and jealousy.

Panda and Bamboo

Dressing up as a plant or a cute animal is a total win in my book. Plus, telling someone you’re the bamboo to their panda is so adorable. Finding a panda onesie is probably not too hard, but I’d love to see how people make themselves a bamboo with SFX or just a dark green jumpsuit. However, I suggest not getting too into character for some pretty obvious reasons.

Beanie Babies / Beanie Boos

I didn’t really have any beanie babies, but I did have beanie boos! Regardless of which cute stuffed animals you had or have, you definitely should be one. It’s a great excuse to wear an animal onesie with some fun touches! And don’t forget to wear the logo around your neck to really complete the look!

Hopefully you got some good ideas of Halloween costumes to be derpy and cute in! The pandemic doesn’t bring too much joy, but dressing up with someone can hopefully give you laughs and memories this year. Happy Halloween guys!!!

MSU'24 Journalism Likes to read, write, talk about social justice. Lover of Taco Bell, Parks and Rec, cheese and intersectional feminism. Wants to travel the world and write articles everywhere.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.