Style > Beauty

Tips, Tricks and Products for Glowing Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Glowing skin may seem easy to achieve, but it can be harder than it looks. After years of testing out new products and tweaking my makeup process, here are some products I’ve tried along the way that I find the most effective. 

Mood Light Luminous Powder by Jaclyn Cosmetics

Jaclyn may have gotten a bad rep because of her tragic first launch this past June, but her highlighter launch was far from a flop. The Mood Light Luminous Powder is meant to give your skin that lit-from-within glow everyone strives for. 

With its buttery consistency, applying this powder all over your face with a powder brush or sponge gives an all-around glow without appearing shiny. Even on my oily complexion, I’ve found this product to work wonders by not making my skin greasy, while still blurring imperfections and giving an amazing glow. 

It’s versatile and can also be used with a denser highlighting brush for a more precise highlight in targeted areas. I recommend applying with a pointed highlighter brush and adding some Mac Fix Plus to make it pop. 

Vitamin C Elixir: Elina Organic’s

The real trick to having perfect, luminous skin isn’t just good quality makeup —it starts with a good base. I swear by Elina Organics products and haven’t switched up my skincare line since I started using it four years ago. While their products may be a bit pricey, I strongly believe a good skincare routine is worth investing in. 

I used to have problems with moisturizer making my skin feel slick and would have to rely on oil blotting pads to get me through the day. This moisturizer makes my skin feel bouncy and moisturized — but never oily. 

The elixir isn’t only for those with oily or combination skin, it can also be used as a serum for those with dry skin and those who need to add vitamin C to their skincare routine. I would highly recommend any of their products. It’s an organic brand that practices holistic skincare.

To check out their products go to https://elinaorganics.com

Backlight Priming Filter: BECCA 

Because I have oily skin, I was hesitant when buying a product that was meant to make my skin look too dewy. But because so many people raved about it, I decided to try it out. I found this product to make my skin look radiant both with and without makeup on. 

This product acts as a great base for any makeup look and also looks great on its own. When I’m running low on time, I’ll apply this primer, a little bit of powder, set the brows, add a highlighter and be good to go for the day. It also works wonders by shining through a heavy foundation and giving a luminescent glow. 

Jade Rolling

The debate over whether jade rolling works or not has been going on for years, but I’m here to settle all controversies — it works. This is a quick, easy step that can be added to any skincare routine to instantly give a flushed look and clear skin in the long run. 

By rolling the face in outward motions starting from the jawline up, you’re stimulating the drainage of the lymphatic system and allowing these fluids to drain properly. The lymphatic system tends to become congested leading to a buildup of bacteria and fluids in the face and neck. This can contribute to sinus problems and acne, but jade rolling helps these built-up fluids properly drain throughout the body.

Overall, since investing $8.99 on a jade roller, I have noticed an immense improvement in my skin. 

Mary Dew Manizer: The Balm Cosmetics

I recently invested in this liquid highlighter because of my love for the powder version — now I reach for it almost daily. I would encourage adding a cream or liquid highlighter to your makeup collection if you want a product that melts into the skin. 

It’s relatively cheap and lasts forever. I usually put this on the high points of my face, but it can also be applied to the eyelids if you’re aiming for a bronzed glow. Overall, this highlighter is a versatile product that gives the skin a natural radiance.

Hopefully, these products work just as well for you as they did for me!

Megan is a junior at Michigan State majoring in Advertising Management with a minor in Public Relations and Entrepreneurship. She is interested in all things beauty related and suffers from a crippling caffeine addiction. When she's not watching Sex and the City or working on some new project, she can most likely be found at the nearest beach.
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!