Life > Academics

Tips to transition from winter break to the spring semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Spring semester can be hard. The holidays are behind us, the cold weather seems to drag on, spring break is only a week long, and the worst part? There are still four months of school left before summer break. 

Furthermore, coming right out of winter break, getting back into the school mindset can be hard. Not to mention exhausting both mentally and physically. But, to hopefully make things a bit easier, I’ve compiled a list of helpful tips to help you succeed this semester and smoothly transition from the winter break mindset to the academic mindset for the spring semester!

Use sticky notes to write your to-do list of assignments. For those of you who don’t like using agendas, I highly recommend writing on sticky notes. That way, you can still see everything you need to do by which date. You can also put it somewhere easy to see, like on your desk or your computer case. I recommend writing all your assignments down for one week and switching them out the next week and so on. Plus, you get to cross out assignments when you finish them, which is super satisfying!

Try to have a consistent sleep schedule. This one is kind of hard. I know assignments, projects, club meetings, or whatever it may be can conflict with your sleep schedule. Most college students usually tend to go to bed at a later time, but by keeping a consistent schedule, such as the same amount of sleep per night, going to bed, and getting up around the same time, it’ll help you feel more put together.

Get an early start on assignments. This one is also a bit on the harder side. But, it’ll save you much time and stress if you manage your time when it comes to school assignments and start early. I recommend starting assignments the day it is given or the day after, even if it’s as small as just planning your idea out, to save you time in the long run. Procrastination is never a good thing and getting an early start will help you not cram everything in the day before it is due.

Download a copy of the syllabus and class schedule and check it frequently. It’s nearly impossible to memorize every assignment and due date throughout the semester, especially in multiple classes. By downloading a copy of these two documents and checking them frequently, you’ll know exactly what you are learning, when things are due, how to contact your professor, and so much more. I also recommend that you place these copies somewhere that you can see them, such as your laptop’s home screen, for easy access.

Take good notes. It can sometimes be hard to pay attention in classes or lectures, but paying attention and taking well-written notes can save you time in the long run when studying for tests or quizzes. It’ll also help you study efficiently and understand the content as it is presented, which means less time needed to study for tests! Bonus if you take handwritten notes – you’ll retain the information better than typed notes!

Along with those, make sure to take care of yourself. Take breaks, mental health days, eat warm meals, treat yourself to coffee, self-care days and routines, and anything else along those lines, as needed. You got this! Finish this school year strong! 

And there you have it, my secret weapons to be successful in the second semester of the school year!

Amy Cho

MSU '26

Amy Cho is a member of Her Campus at MSU. She is a chapter member who monthly articles and publishes them for her audience. Cho is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Mediated Communication and Journalism with a minor in Broadcast Journalism. She has previously written multiple articles for her high school's newspaper and has appeared on the school news channel. In her free time, Cho enjoys spending time with her family and friends, watching cheesy movies with her boyfriend, and tackling various arts-and-crafts projects.