Tips for Flying Home from College for Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Traveling can be stressful, especially for college students trying to get home for breaks and holidays. However, there are some things you can do to ease the burden on travel days, so you can actually enjoy the ride, instead of wishing it was just over. From an out-of-state student, and therefore a frequent flier, here are some tips that can ease the stress of flying home from college for breaks!

1. Pack before the day of your flight. I get it – it’s hard to sit down and pack when the trip is still a couple of days away. However, packing a little bit at a time and starting a few days before will keep you from feeling flustered the day of your flight, especially if your flight is early in the morning. I understand the “I can just pack really fast later” mentality, but trust me, your future self will thank you later.
  1. Plan your airport outfit the night before. As insignificant as this may seem, it genuinely saves time before your flight. Especially if your flight is early in the morning, this is one less thing you’ll have to worry about the day of.
  1. Have your passport/ID in a safe and accessible location. Whether that’s in your pocket, backpack, or purse, it’ll save you the trouble of digging through your entire bag when asked for your ID or passport. 
  1. Plan your ride to the airport in advance. Whether you’re taking an Uber to the airport, having a friend or family drop you off, or taking a bus, make sure to plan everything well in advance. For example, if you are Ubering, make sure to consider the time of your flight and whether Ubers will be available at that time. Similarly, if you’re taking a bus, make sure that particular bus will be running at the time you will need it, and purchase a ticket before it sells out.
  1. Be on time. By that, I mean be there early. The last thing you want is to cause yourself stress about whether you’ll make it to your gate before boarding closes. To avoid this, do yourself a favor, and get there at least two hours before your boarding time, (or, honestly, even three hours before if you’re an anxious person like me).

Well, there you have it! These are the tips I swear by when I fly back home from college for breaks. These travel tips not only help me decrease stress levels on the day of my flight, but skills such as organization and punctuality also come in handy in life. Though there are many more tips and tricks, these are just a few that can help you before your next flight!

Amy Cho

MSU '26

Amy Cho is a member of Her Campus at MSU. She is a chapter member who monthly articles and publishes them for her audience. Cho is a sophomore at Michigan State University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Mediated Communication and Journalism with a minor in Broadcast Journalism. She has previously written multiple articles for her high school's newspaper and has appeared on the school news channel. In her free time, Cho enjoys spending time with her family and friends, watching cheesy movies with her boyfriend, and tackling various arts-and-crafts projects.