TikTok Trend Alert: “Okokok” vs “Lalala”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

TikTok trend alert! This trend is centered on Tyler, the Creator’s song “See You Again” from his 2017 album “Flower Boy.” This song, done in collaboration with Kali Uchis, ends with the audio “Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, oh (La la, la la la la, la la).” The “okokok” sounds louder as the “lalala” is the softer, undercurrent melody as the song ends and fades out. People have been all over TikTok claiming which partner in their platonic or romantic relationship represents the idea of “okokok” and which partner represents the idea of “lalala.” Now what does that even mean? 

If you are an “okokok” person, that means you are chill, down-to-earth, a good listener, and a logical thinker. These people are grounded individuals who tend to look at the reality of the situations at hand. Muted and/or cool-toned colors match the vibe of an “okokok” individual. 

If you are a “lalala” person, that means you are optimistic, may have your head in the clouds, are loud and extroverted, and exude sunshine and positive energy — the embodiment of spring and bright colors. This can mean you are on the girlier side, but doesn’t always.

Here are some examples of some classic and well-loved characters and relationships and which ones they are so you can get a better understanding of which person you may be in your own relationships. In the TV show “New Girl,” a very blatantly obvious example of this relationship dynamic would be Jessica Day embodying “lalala” and her best friend Cece representing “okokok.” However, it isn’t always this obvious. If we are looking at cities, NYC is very “okokok” vibes and LA is everything “lalala.” “Lalala” is pink and “okokok” is blue. In another thread, the relationship dynamic between Peeta Mallark and Katniss Everdeen in “The Hunger Games” book and movie adaptation series would have Peeta being “lalala” and Katniss being “okokok.” The last example I can give is Marvel’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming” movie, in which Peter Parker would be “lalala” and MJ would be “okokok.”

Whether you are “lalala” or “okokok” in your relationships can change depending on the friendship and type of partnership you are in. One is not better than the other and each provides a unique dynamic to the relationship. So now that you know all of this, which one are you?

Milcah Solomon is a junior at Michigan State University. She studies Public Relations at Michigan State’s College of Communications Arts & Sciences. She hopes to enter the beauty, fashion, entertainment, or music industry world of public relations, advertising, and journalism after graduation. She is very involved in and around campus. She is in Mosiac Intervarsity, SALT Co., ASMSU, PRSSA, HerCampus at MSU, the Corporate Retail Association, and VIM Magazines. At VIM Magazine she holds the position of Assistant Editor-In-Chief and she is the Associate Director of Public Relations at the Associated Students of Michigan State University (ASMSU). Outside of campus life, she is the first-generation daughter of two Eritrean immigrants and the oldest of three. She loves to travel internationally and has been to Portugal, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Canada, Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Egypt. She loves a good period drama, international show, or sitcom.