This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

The most dreaded time of the year has arrived — finals. Hours put into studying, cramming in 12 weeks worth of work and notes, and long nights running on coffee is exactly what finals week entails. However, it doesn’t all have to be terrible; here are three tips to get you through the end of your semester.

Space out your work. 

Let’s face it — we’ve all tried to memorize everything we have learned the night before an exam, hoping it will magically absorb into our brains. And as most of us have come to realize that that usually does not end well. Do a little bit of studying for each class a few days before the exam. When you do it this way, you are taking less information in at a time, making it easier for your brain to retain. Also, when you can take the time, without the stress and pressure of cramming, to actually study the information, you are actually learning it, instead of just memorizing it. 

Change up your study spot. 

Not studying in the same spot everyday can actually be very beneficial. Changing your location gives you a change of scenery and a refreshing feeling. According to Psychology Today, “Cognitive scientists believe that studying something in multiple environments increases the neural connections in our brains associated with what we are trying to learn. More neural connections = more learning.” So, next time you go to study, go somewhere new.

Reward yourself!

You have put in so much hard work this semester, especially during this time of finals. You deserve to reward yourself! I find that when I give myself an incentive to look forward to, I work harder. For example, tell yourself that if you read 20 pages, you’ll reward yourself with an episode of the show you’re watching, or your favorite snack.

This may be stressful for all of us, but we’re almost done! We just have to get through one final at a time. It is important to remind yourself that you are trying your best, and remind yourself of the hard work you have put in this semester — especially under these unprecedented circumstances. Take a deep breath, have confidence in yourself, and celebrate your achievements when it’s done!

Sources:

Carter, C. L. (2010, September 14). Study Skills 2010: Not What You Think They Are. Retrieved December 14, 2020, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/raising-happiness/201009/study-s…

Anna is a sophomore at Michigan State, studying journalism with a minor in public relations. Take Jess from New Girl, Elle Woods from Legally Blonde, and Monica from Friends, and you have summed up Anna's personality in one. She is a big fan of watching sunrises and sunsets, and you can always find her catching up with friends and family.
MSU Contributor Account: for chapter members to share their articles under the chapter name instead of their own.