Thoughtful Gift Ideas for Valentine’s Day

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it can be hard to pick out that perfect gift for your significant other. Instead of buying the same box of chocolates or another bouquet of flowers, take a look at some of these more thoughtful gift ideas for the upcoming holiday: 

Handmade Card

In my opinion, handmade gifts are the ones most from the heart. Taking the time to make something by hand for your partner really shows how much you care. Cards that are personalized with a heartfelt note rather than just having “Happy Valentine’s Day” on the front of them are extra special, and really only take about 20 minutes to make. Even if you’re not artistic, this can be a simple, perfect gift that costs nothing, but means a lot. 

Homemade Gift Basket

As I mentioned before, homemade gifts are usually the best ones. A basket doesn’t have to be large or expensive. Simply go to Target or Walmart, find a small basket, and fill it with items you know your partner will love. Some ideas include their favorite candy, a small activity for the two of you to do (like a puzzle or a card game), or some fuzzy socks. Obviously it can be anything that is personal to you and your partner, but these are just some starting points.

A LEGO Set

Although LEGOs can be pricey, there are some smaller ones that are very cute and pretty cheap. If you and your significant other are the type that love to do things together or simply love LEGOs, go to the LEGO Store and buy a $15-20 set for each other. This can be super fun and it’s not your standard Valentine’s gift. Regular flowers last a week. LEGO flowers last a lifetime!

Date Night

If you have been in a relationship for a few years, presents can begin to seem kind of irrelevant because you’ve hit that point where “what’s mine is yours.” So, instead of exchanging physical gifts for Valentine’s Day, plan a night at your favorite restaurant or do something fun like ice skating at your local rink. Memories are far more important than a physical gift, so go out and do something special with your partner.

Valentine’s Day is a day dedicated to showing your appreciation to that one special person. I hope these gift ideas gave you some inspiration to go out and show your Valentine how much you truly love them. 

Peyton Skiver is a writer, editor, and E-board member of Her Campus at Michigan State University. She writes articles to be published on the Her Campus site and designs content for the HCMSU social media pages. Skiver is a second year student at MSU studying journalism with a minor in sports journalism. Outside of class, she is a reporter for the Spartan Sports Report and a member of the Association of Women in Sports Media (AWSM). Skiver has a passion for photography, writing, and media design. In her free time, she loves to read, listen to music, and binge watch new TV shows.