Wellness

There’s Nothing Strange About Strange Matter Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Living in a college town can provide a whole new world to explore. For college students, it’s a fun way to meet new people and find new interests. One of the difficulties of navigating a new area is finding local, small businesses to support as opposed to franchises. Luckily for students in the Lansing area, there is a woman-owned coffee shop: Strange Matter Coffee. 

Strange Matter Coffee Co. was founded by Cara Nader with the help of several partners. The shop started out in a farmer’s market before opening its first location in 2014. With two Lansing locations and one location directly on campus in the MSU union building, there are ample opportunities to  try the vast variety of signature drinks, coffee blends, and donuts. 

Many of these options are even customizable to dietary needs. Drinks have the option of being made with alternative milks such as almond or oat milk. Even more impressive are the delicious donuts that have gluten-free, vegan options to provide a tasty treat for all to enjoy! There are plenty of options to choose from including cinnamon sugar, lemon zest, cookie bomb, chocolate sprinkle, and many more. There are also a variety of vegan scones and poptarts to choose from! 

I highly recommend visiting one, or all of these locations. Each location has unique decorations and seating options. Not only are you supporting a great business, but you may find a space to fall in love with! The unique environment can make for a great backdrop for social media posts or just a fun space to study individually or as a group. If studying is not your grounds for going out, there are events held and opportunities to hold your own event at the Lansing locations.

Phebe Jones is the Treasurer for Her Campus at MSU. Jones is a senior studying biochemistry as well as molecular genetics. Jones has published many times by local libraries for summer writing contests. She doesn't write often in her majors and wants to keep in enjoying one of her favorite activities. In her free time, Jones enjoys: reading, videogames, horror movies, listening to music, and cartoons.