There’s No Place Like Home For Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

With spring break just around the corner, I can’t help but daydream about the sand between my toes, the sweet smell of a salt water ocean and a drink in my hand. Unfortunately, this is just a daydream and nothing like the reality of how I will be spending my week free of responsibilities. My spring break will actually be spent at my house. Yes, I am one of the few (very few) people that have absolutely no tropical destination to retreat to after a hard and long first half of the second semester of college.

I have tried to look at my lack of vacationing as a positive thing. I don’t feel pressured to lose weight or go on a juice cleanse so that I look like I didn’t gain the freshman-15 when I pull out my skimpiest bikini. I don’t have to waste money on getting my nails done or making visits to the tanning salon so that I have that perfect sun-kissed glow. I will get to spend time hanging out with my family and fellow vacationless friends.

Luckily, I have a go-to guide for some fun activities that won’t empty out your wallet. Trust me, for all under $50, these ideas beat sitting on your couch, eating potato chips and scrolling through Insta, feeling jabs of jealousy at every one of your friends’ tropical-posed pictures.

1. Hit-up a sporting event.

It’s hockey season and basketball season! Check out your local city’s teams and plan a night out with your friends. Grab some grub before the game, pull out your jersey and go cheer your butt off. Who cares if you’re sitting in the nosebleeds?

Price: $$$

2. Try a hot yoga class.

Get your girlies together, and try out a hot yoga class. Probably the closest thing you’ll find to sitting on a beach in the sun.

Price: $$

3. Volunteer!

Giving back is a great way to spend your spring break. What can beat making a difference in someone else’s life?

Price: Priceless

4. Host a girl’s night.

Break out the face masks, Nicholas Sparks’ movies and junk food.

Price: $

5. Plan a fun photo shoot.

Get out and explore the great outdoors. I’m sure your friend’s Facebook profile picture of her and her cat is a little outdated.

Price: $

6. Go see a show.

Whether it’s a theater production, symphony or rock concert, get out and enjoy some good music, artists and company!

Price: $$$

7. GO VOTE!

The primaries for Michigan are on Tuesday, March 8. If you are on MSU’s campus, the CATA bus is offering free rides when you show your voter registration card! Be a great citizen, and carry out your civil duty.

Price: Priceless

8. Pay a visit to your local art museum.

You won’t be spending an evening on the beach with that hottie you met playing volleyball, but at least you’ll be spending time with Picasso.

Price: $$

9. Have a Bachelor viewing party.

During spring break, the final episode before the season finale will air! Grab some snacks, a glass of wine and invite your girls over! Ben will probably be shirtless.

Price: $

10. Do some coffee shop hopping.

I know that you sometimes get sick of your normal Starbucks Carmel Frappuccino. I promise I won’t tell your barista! Try some of your local, hidden coffee shops. If you can’t get a buzz from booze, at least you can get some caffeine!

Price: $

Spring break spent at home may sound boring and uneventful, but as long as you surround yourself with good company and make the most out of the week that you have, it could go down in history as one of the best! And if you’re really desperate for a little tropical air, I’m sure that flight to Hawaii isn’t completely booked yet.

A Freshman at Michigan State University. Enjoys 90's movies, rock alternative music, and reading books of all kinds. Apart of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority and studies Journalism. Can be found running around campus, eating heaps of food at the Caf, or cheering my Spartans on at Spartan Football Stadium!
Feminist | Editor | Lesbian