This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

As military tensions continue to escalate in Russia and Ukraine, NATO begins to wonder and contemplate how the new dynamic between Russia and the West will represent the new political relationship between the most powerful countries. It is no surprise that ever since the world wars ended, there has been some animosity between NATO and the former Soviet Union. After the rise of technological developments, there has been a competition between Russia, China and the United States for which nation will successfully attain greater amounts of global political power and become the main driver of technological advancement. 

As the horrors faced by Ukrainian families become exposed by the media, it is safe to say that moving forward, we cannot expect civility from the Russian government against Ukraine or any other country that seems to be in disagreement. President Putin claims that his actions are justified due to the need for this ‘undercover’ and classified military operation; however, what the Russian government seems to be overlooking is what this unnecessary violence will bring upon the economic development of the country and western relations moving forward. As of now, franchises like McDonald’s, Starbucks and Burger King have ceased carrying out the usual business practices and services within Russia and the State level, Michigan’s economic development has initiated contract terminations with any kind of deal that aids or works with Russia in any way.

With the cease-and-desist business practices and agreements between Russia and the US, the future of international politics and western influence in European countries will evidently become less and less present if Russia continues to unleash its might upon Ukraine. 

Being a part of the western idealization and supporting NATO’s initiative, at this point we can only hope that the exit of investments happening in Russia and other countries that support it will serve as a wake-up call and force Putin to consider the tragic impacts of his military strategies. It also important to acknowledge the great amount of suffering and feelings of helplessness the Ukrainians are facing, and that the incivility and backwards actions of the Russian government makes us consider if whether or not one of the consequences of the post-war dynamic will call for a new wall being drawn within Europe, and what this device will mean for the international dynamic of NATO, Russia, China and Ukraine.

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I am a senior at Michigan State University, Political Science-Prelaw major; and I intend to go to law school after graduating from MSU.