This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Most Americans are unaware of the true meaning behind Thanksgiving. Their knowledge of the holiday goes as far as elementary-level learning, clouded by the idea that it is a time to be thankful for what they have, see extended family, and eat a large, delicious meal. However, the real story of Thanksgiving is not all peace and love. 

Elementary school history teaches that local tribes were won over by religious exiles with promises of friendship. Native American tribes had taught the exiles how to grow crops in order to sustain society, leading to settlers and allies gathering together in 1621 for a successful harvest. However, what truly brought the settlers together involved bloodshed before and after the first feast. 

The settlers at Plymouth and their allies from the Wampanoag tribe conflicted. A treaty formed by a Wampanoag leader formed an agreement that no one from either group would harm anyone from the other. The treaty lasted for ten years and ended as a new leader emerged. Distrust amongst the groups arose as natives and settlers disputed. As a result, native tribes developed a coalition to protect themselves as they clashed with settlers. 

Settlers killed tribes for not giving up their land. The conflict became known as King Philip’s War as the Wampanoag tribe abducted settlers and held them for ransom while settlers destroyed native villages. Burned and looted colonies would take forever to recover. The Native American population never got a chance to recover, as in the coming years, thriving native societies that existed in the United States were immediately taken over by European settlers. 

For Native Americans, Thanksgiving is a solemn day of remembrance instead of celebration. Native Americans and supporters since 1970 have gathered on Cole’s Hill in Plymouth on Thanksgiving day to commemorate a National Day of Mourning. They gather together to remember the struggles of native people to survive today. It’s a day to protest against the racism and oppression that Native Americans have experienced and continue to suffer through. 

Schumer, Lizz. “Thanksgiving Has a Bloody History – Here’s What Really Went Down.” Good Housekeeping, Good Housekeeping, 19 Sept. 2022, https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/holidays/thanksgiving-ideas/a33446829/thanksgiving-history/.

Sabrina Seldon is the Editor-in-chief of Her Campus at MSU. She edits articles, approves pitches and oversees the editing team. Seldon is a junior at Michigan State University majoring in Journalism with minors in Broadcast, Public Relations and Graphic Design. On top of her involvement with Her Campus, she is the Art Director of VIM Magazine at MSU. Seldon was Editor-in-chief of her high school's award-winning yearbook and has articles published through the Spartan Newsroom. Seldon enjoys listening to music, traveling and designing graphics in her free time.