The Best Gifts To Bring For A Host This Holiday Season

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

For many holidays my mom and I have put together a gorgeous feast for our guests, as we normally are the ones to host, given we’re the best cooks in the family. When I got my own apartment in college this year, I had so many plans to host gatherings at my place, cooking and entertaining for my friends like my family had for so many years. However, getting my own apartment and paying for my own bills and groceries on a college budget is when it hit me how much it truly costs to feed everyone, provide alcohol, make the place look nice, entertain, etc. I was raised to never walk in empty handed, but now I have a new appreciation and understanding for those who open their house up for a gathering and I know how much of a time and financial strain it is. I compiled a list of ideas to bring for the host at your next gathering that is ideal on a budget, especially during this holiday season.

1. Wine

I know, this is the stereotypical gift for a gathering, but it is a classic. It’s always a hit with hosts and other guests as it takes care of some alcohol costs. It is always an appreciated beverage, and actually not that expensive (even if you get a few bottles). The best cheap wines can be found at Aldi, Costco, Sam’s Club, Walmart, and Kroger (if you are a rewards member). Usually, Pinot Grigio, Moscato, and Rose are popular, delicious pairs with a holiday meal. 

2. Dessert

Nothing screams comfort more than a homemade (or store bought) sweet. This takes care of another course. This can be as simple as running to the grocery store bakery or using a box mix. You can even go all out and make something from scratch. Usually, the best desserts are something you can easily grab or serve, like cookies (chocolate chip, shortbread, and sugar normally go over well), fudge, or a type of cupcake. If people are asking for the recipe by the end of the night, you know you did good.

3. Flowers

Again, I know it’s basic, but it ties the place together and is usually appreciated, as it brings a pop of color and aroma to the space. Around this time of year, a poinsettia plant could be a good idea, but if it’s unavailable, holly or poppies are also good options. Usually, these last awhile and your host will appreciate the thoughtfulness behind it.

4. Appetizer

You can save the event by bringing something to snack on before dinner time. You can never go wrong with a cheese tray or charcuterie board from the grocery store, or making one yourself. Another option that is quick and easy are dips and dry dip packets that only need a few ingredients. These are normally delicious with pita chips, pretzels, or veggies. Your host will be very grateful if you walk in with one of these.

5. Card Games

When you’re waiting on dinner or dessert, sometimes there is only so much talking that can be done. A fun way to boost energy during a post-meal slump (especially if everyone is a little tipsy) is to pull out a fun card game. This could be getting creative with a basic deck of cards or the reliable set of Cards Against Humanity. There are many other card games out there that are designed specifically for these events that will have everyone laughing and making memories.

6. Jello Shots

Coming back to the alcohol, these are cheap and easy to make since they can be done with bottom shelf liquor. Everyone will get a little buzz and you will be considered the life of the party if you show up with these ready. The only downside is that they disappear quickly no matter how many you make.

7. Yourself

If you are not able to afford a host gift or do not have the time to put anything together, offer up your help to get the gathering rolling. Whether it is setting the table, cleaning up, or making an entire entree, any help is appreciated.

Is it required to bring something to a gathering? No, but it is highly recommended and appreciated if someone else is opening up their home to you. Hopefully, these ideas will help when it is time for your own gatherings this holiday season!

Kate is a writer for Her Campus at Michigan State University. She is a neuroscience major on the pre-med track. She enjoys baking, reading, and volunteering in her free time. You can usually find her at her favorite study spots on campus with a coffee in her hand.