The Argument Over the Right Time to Start Listening to Christmas Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

There are many disputes over when is deemed appropriate to start listening to Christmas music. Is there any time that’s “too early?” A large majority of people agree that any time after Thanksgiving is appropriate for Christmas tunes, however, there are also people that believe the beginning of November is the start of the Christmas season.

While this argument is, of course, a fun disagreement between some people, but many consider this to be a serious topic. There are some who claim that the dispensing of holiday cheer too early is bad for your health. According to clinical therapist Linda Blair, holiday music may make us feel trapped, as it’s a reminder that we have to buy presents, cater to people, and organize celebrations. This seems like a pretty drastic point of view for such a silly argument, but hopefully this doesn’t happen to a large majority of people.

Aside from that, Christmas is meant to be a fun, joyous time of year to spend with friends and family with fun decorations, the delicious holiday treats, and the holly jolly music to get us in the holiday spirit. Some people just want to start celebrating earlier than others, that’s all. It’s not like there are many songs to celebrate Thanksgiving with anyway, right? Why not break out the jingling and jangling of the Christmas bells and celebrate when you feel like celebrating? In fact, why does Christmas music need to be entirely linked to Christmas at all? Don’t you ever have times where you want to get a little festive and listen to some holiday music or watch a holiday movie even if it’s the middle of the year? I guarantee that everyone has had at least one moment like this.

Overall, the dispute of when is appropriate to break out the Christmas music shouldn’t be too big of a deal. Have fun and listen to whatever music you are craving and hopefully those around you will respect your choice of music despite what month it is, because you can never have too much Christmas fun.

Madison is a senior at Michigan State University with a major in graphic design. She loves to write about her life experiences and about her's and others' art.