etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten of the Best Must-See Movie Musicals to Watch for a Night in with the Roomies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

Looking for something fun to do with your girlfriends during a night on the weekend? Then look no further! Hear me out, but what if I told you that musicals are most definitely the way to go? They’re fun, entertaining, and always make you want to sing along with the tunes. Here are ten of the best musicals to look out for.

Les Miserables (2012)

Not only does this musical tell a historical tale with some action and singing involved, but for those of you who love history, this is your type of movie. It also has the wonderful Hugh Jackman involved as well. This one is a must-see.

Grease 

This one might be an oldie, but it’s still a goodie. With characters like the greasers, jocks, and preps, it’ll be like reliving high school all over again…just in the sixties!

Phantom Of The Opera (1986)

A spooky musical that entices audiences to wonder just who the heck is under that mask? This one has a crazy twist, deep romance, and opera.

West Side Story (1961)

This is another classic tale on romance, only this time two love birds are stuck within two New York Street Gangs dancing and singing out all their anger, sadness, and frustration…you gotta see it to believe it, but trust me, it’s great!

Teen Beach Movie 

This one is like an off-brand Grease. Funny and quirky, but it’s still cute, like the classic Disney shenanigans.

The Greatest Showman

A musical about the extraordinary circus and business that P.T. Barnum created from the ground up. Zac Efron, Zendaya, Hugh Jackman…what more could you want?

The Sound of Music (1965)

“I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don’t feel…” This one is about the real-life story on the VonTrapp Family singers, a group that was very well known during the time era before WWII, and their caretaker Maria, who of course, loves music.

Footloose (1984)

This musical will really want to make you get up and dance. The movie is set in a town where all rock music is banned…so you can imagine things will get really heated in the film.

Wizard of Oz (1939)

Everyone knows this musical. We also know who the real star of the movie is…the cutest puppy in all of Oz.

High School Musical

If you haven’t heard of this classic, where exactly have you been for the past ten years? A great musical for all the Disney fanatics out there. Also, who doesn’t love young Zac Efron?

Overall all of these films resonate with me because they are just so interesting and entertaining. Even if musicals aren’t your thing, I would say try watching one of these great films and see if you like it…you might just surprise yourself. I hope you enjoy!

Hey everyone! I'm Gabby! I am a junior currently majoring in Advertising Management and minoring in Public Relations/Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Some things I love to do are write in my spare time, hangout with my friends, and play tennis. I am so excited to write for Her Campus MSU, so please be on the look out for my articles! Go Green!
Ananya is the President of Her Campus at Michigan State. She is majoring in Human Biology and minoring in Health Promotion, and post-graduation, she will be attending medical school! If she's not studying, you can find her watching TikToks or Grey's Anatomy!