This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MSU chapter.

College is hard for everyone, it’s understandable. However, it can be way harder for those that are gunning for perfect A’s or a  4.0. Although grades aren’t everything, a lot of emphasis is put on the number grade that you’ll get for an assignment or a class, so I wanted to provide some tips on how to get all A’s (from someone with an overall 3.9 GPA). 

1. Actually attend your classes

This might sound like a bummer to some people–I know. But yes, you actually have to go to your classes(as much as you can)! I try to go to every class period that I can,for a few reasons. Firstly, I’m paying for the class, so I might as well get my money’s worth. Secondly, I find that skipping class means missing important content, so I find going to all the classes that I can is extremely beneficial for me. And thirdly, I try to go to all of my classes just because I want to go to all of them.Additionally, most of the classes that I’ve had allow up to three unexcused absences before absences start impacting your grade, so I try to be as present as possible so that I can use those three absences for a good reason. 

1. Taking Quality Notes

This is the kicker here – how the hell do you take good notes? Everyone has a different note-taking style, but I’m confident in saying that your note-taking style will make or break your learning and your grade. The best way to take notes that I’ve found is to not spend the majority of the lecture copying what’s in front of you word for word. Instead, the best way to learn is to ask your professor to have the slides or notes uploaded the day prior or so, have those ready,  and then take notes on what the professor says–on top of the notes that they’ve given you. By doing this, you’re not losing time by copying words and missing out on important information that your professor might be saying. Instead, you have both the formal and informal, which is extremely helpful!

1. Go to office hours / ask questions

The biggest thing I advocate for is getting to know your professor, because they are the ones that are essentially in charge of your learning for a certain class (and your grade for that class). Don’t be afraid to ask questions for clarification! You’re there to learn and get a good grade, so you have to advocate for yourself.By asking questions and learning directly from the professor when you’re unable to learn in lecture, it’ll allow you to better retain the information and leave you with a better understanding of the material and the class in general.

1. Find a good spot / ritual 

Do you like doing your homework in your own room, or in a coffee shop? Do you enjoy studying with multiple people, or do you prefer to work alone? Music or no music? Knowing the answer to these questions will be incredibly helpful to you, and once you find what works best for you, you’ll be retaining information and studying well. For me personally,  I need it to be loud – whether that be music blasting in my ears, or the sound of a bustling café, I don’t do well in quiet environments. Secondly, I like working in areas that aren’t my own personal space becauseI tend to procrastinate more. Also,I work equally well with people and without – how do you compare? 

1. Grades are not everything

I know this list is about achieving good grades, but please remember that you should not strive for greatness at the detriment of yourself. Your grades are not more important than your mental health, physical health, your social life, etc. It’s extremely important to have awork/life balance to avoid the negatives that a work/life imbalance can cause. Yes, it’s great to have perfect grades, but please do not beat yourself for them.

All in all, having perfect grades might seem very hard for many people, but it’s completely doable. Everyone is different, but if you strive for specific grades and put in the effort towards them, you’re completely able to achieve your goal. Hopefully this list inspires you and helps you out; good luck everyone!

Belma Hodzic has been a staff writer for the Michigan State University Chapter of Her Campus since spring of 2022. Belma Hodzic is a junior at Michigan State University. A student of MSU's James Madison College, she is seeking a dual-degree in Comparative Cultures and Politics and World Politics, while double-minoring in Film Studies and Women and Gender Studies. She aspires to go into filmmaking or documentary production in the aim of representing marginalized communities and bringing culture into conversation. When she isn't studying, she enjoys exploring the horror genre and all things creepy. In her free time, she enjoys reading, drawing, watching and analyzing movies, as well as spending time with her friends.